The Milk Float Thread

Oslo was a real eye-opener a couple of weeks ago.

It appears that there are serious tax breaks for electric cars in Norway. I reckon about a third of the traffic was electric. Teslas were positively common. Otherwise Nissan Leaf, VW eUp (I think), Peugeot ion etc. etc.

As I am not built to outlandishly enormous proportions, interior size is less of an issue for me.

True dat although only on a technicality :nerd_face:. It is not the pole to pole measure you might challenge volvo on, but rather the equator. Were you to be knighted I would expect her maj to declare ā€˜Arise Sir Cumferenceā€™ (or Sir Loin of Pork).*

The old joke about the car hire firm not being pleased when you returned the stretch limo might also be deployed here.

• I like The Goons
    ** it wasnā€™t stretched when they hired it to you.

:upside_down_face:

I donā€™t like you :unamused:

1 Like

Youā€™re only saying that to cheer me up :unamused:

1 Like

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

Oi! Compared to his (albeit better looking) twin, my bruv is sylphlike. :grinning:

2 Likes

The thing about relative comparisons (badoom, tish) is that it all depends on the point of normalisation. Imagine how your statement might finish if we used @rmsshipbroker as the point of comparison. :smirk:

1 Like

Haha,ā€¦using @rmsshipbroker and normal in the same sentence :rofl:

4 Likes

Saw some Tesla things down south, very nice from the rear and accelerate like buggery. Saw a Leaf, made me laugh.

http://bollingermotors.com

When I was being dragged around Bluewater today I managed to escape into the Tesla shop. It was quiet so had a good mess around with the display models.

Only 2 cars in there, the S and the X, and a bare chassis from the S.

I have to say, they are lovely. For my day to day motoring, the range would be more than adequate, and I suppose we could keep either the BMW or S Max for longer journeys.

The model 3 is going to be available soon, at around Ā£25k -Ā£35k and it is very tempting to give it a go. Thereā€™s likely to be incentives too.

I know about all the problems about the stuff that goes into the batteries, and shifting pollution from the car to the power station, but renewables are on the rise, so that sort of assauges the guilt a bitā€¦

Friend of mine has just spunked Ā£50K on a secondhand S, I thought he was mad until he let me have a go yesterday. I loved it, for a car with an oversized turntable motor itā€™s incredible. Iā€™m saving up.

2 Likes

Claire, ever practical, loved the X. Not sure how practical the gullwing rear doors are though, we have some multistoreys with low headroom around. Even the kids were ultra enthusiastic about them, and they usually roll their eyes when cars are mentioned.

Iā€™ve seen a few Xs in town, they look nice for that sort of thing, my mates S is massive, boot front and rear and extra seats for two in the boot. The performance was the stand out thing for me though. Fastest accelerating car I have ever driven, true super bike acceleration and a chassis that seemed able to cope with it.

Iā€™ve driven an S and an X whilst they are nice, I felt the interior felt very plasticy, and thin - cheap almost, and the build quality was poor, with panel gaps varying all over both carsā€¦I would expect alot better given their prices

I didnā€™t like the interactive centre panel much but the quality of material and build quality seemed to match the cars price. My mates is very nicely put together.

Iā€™m with Loo on build quality. The ones in the shop were very nicely put together, nice leather etc. OK they were showroom models, but I think that they must be getting their act together by now.

1 Like

I drove a brand new showroom fresh X back in December 2016, and the quality of the materials and fit/finish etc were no where near the Macan I went on to buy. Two weeks ago I gave a brand new S the once over in a showroom, and I still think the interior materials felt cheap and flimsy in comparison to my Macan. I was looking at a Tesla costing Ā£95k new - Iā€™d expect materials and finish at the very least matching my Porsche, and I donā€™t see it.

As their production engineering matures then yes I think we should expect build quality to match up to expectations and competitors at a given price point, but right now the price is largely been driven by the tech and the relatively low volumes.

This is still early adopter phase. Once theyā€™ve got scale equivalent to the current big guys then the price will be in a place where you wonā€™t be comparing it to Porsche in terms of luxurious feel to materials, panel fit and paint quality.

At which all the others will have equivalents and competition will drive the price down to being the norm rather than ā€˜premiumā€™.

1 Like