The Reading Room

Just finished this:

It’s aimed at “young” adults rather than “not grown up yet” adults but it’s pretty good. The story is vaguely reminiscent of “Ender’s Game”, ie the main protagonist is a high achieving misfit who is bullied by his peers.

Being aimed at teenagers, it’s fairly light on the science (although there is a bit in there) and it’s a pretty easy read, I got through it in an few hours today.

I’d say it’d be a great sci-fi starter( gateway drug :grinning:) for smartish pre-teen kids, not necessarily just teenagers. I’ve passed it on to Lauren and ordered the next 2 books in the pentalogy.

How to Love Brutalism

Grindrod’s previous two books, Concretopia, and Outskirts, are both very good.

But don’t buy the Kindle version of this one, the hardback is a really nice object in itself.

Lol - I’ve got as far as page 33 and @chelseadave’s house gets a mention.

Apartmentos.

Just started this

download

2 Likes

Was kindly given this for my Birthday by a friend.
Mostly read, but I wish I had more time to sit down with it properly…

2 Likes

Finished The Third Plate by Dan Barber, now finally reading Man In The High Castle

It didn’t grab me immediately but in the end I really enjoyed The Third Plate

I’ve enjoyed a lot of Ballard and some of it looks like being very prescient.

VB

I found that book mind-blowing but also comforting, beautifully written too.

1 Like

Bleak times, indeed.

For me he’s the best in the business when it comes to bleak and strange

2 Likes

There are two volumes to his short stories, and all stories are presented in the order in which they were written. Will be interesting to see how it evolves over time. To give it some context, I am three stories in, and it is 1957.

He was prolific!

That would be an interesting way to read them - you have some strange times ahead mate :grinning:

I’m now about to start reading his first book

An explanation of quantum physics…

The man who makes physics sexy… the new Hawking… His writing is luminous. By the time I had finished reading I was in serious awe of the author (David Aaronovitch The Times)

2 Likes

Gathering my strength before I read the second half of Denial of Death by Ernest Becker. Currently reading this for light relief.

Holiday reading lined up:

and finishing

A nice selection of light summer reading there!

Aye. I need some fiction.

I suspect to drag the averages down to something a mortal man can tolerate you’ll need to go with Mills and Boon.

1 Like

New issue of Electronic Sound just flopped through me letterbox.

I need some fiction. Recommend me some fiction. :exploding_head: