The shit that doesn't merit its own thread (the resurrection)

Is it clear whether or not the poppy is a political statement, image and/or other announcement ? If it is not clear then the rule is not clear.

I think I will sleep on it.

VB

Reading around it a bit more, it seems FIFA did object in 2011 but were effectively shouted down by lobbying from amongst others Prince William during the various scandals FIFA themselves were embroiled in.

So to answer your question around ambiguity, FIFA had made it clear 5 years earlier that they weren’t happy with it and considered it a political statement.

Of course we in this country don’t consider it to be political but then we circle back to the original premise that it is precedent setting when viewed in a dispassionate international context.

4 Likes

To be fair, the amount of analysis you can do in a minute would probably take me a month :wink:

You’re talking to a bloke who got up bright and early (OK, early) to be near the front of the queue for next season’s tickets at the local Arts Centre, ony to find when he arrived that there was no queue. It turns out that booking opened last Friday. Durrrrr.

VB

The poppy is neither political or religious.

It was hijacked by Cameron for a shameless photo opportunity a few years ago and I’m sure it will be in the future but it should be separate to any of that media type wank.

As has been patiently explained, it depends on one’s perspective.

This is true.

I recall sitting talking to my great uncles as a little kid of maybe 6 or 7 who all served in WW1 and/or WW2. They were very, very Irish and had dubious views on the poppy in many ways, but all felt it served one very important purpose: It reminded people what wars actually meant in terms of human cost. This is almost always overlooked in favour of national (not Nationalist) symbology currently.

Personally I’m all for a return to the kits of the 60’s and 70’s with no names, advertising and sensible numbering (e.g. number 3 is the left full-back, centre-forward is 9 etc) and leave the rest of this well alone, including the bullshit 1916 stuff that my mob got up to earlier this year.

1 Like

Excellent reviews…

1 Like

"Celebrity stalking is back in fashion, and shows no signs of getting any less weird.

Hackney resident Mark Revill
has been up in court this week,
on charges of stalking Keira
Knightley. Mark admitted to
sending the actress pictures
of cats winking, compiling a
USB mixtape of "cat-themed"
music and creeping up to her
front door to make meowing
noises through her letterbox
(forcing her husband to open
the door and chase him off
down the road).

For Keira’s sake, we do hope
that this is the end of it –
but, Keira, if you’re reading:
if you want to prevent this
sort of thing from happening
again, leave some lemon rind
in your flowerbeds. Usually
does the trick."

2 Likes

I thought Cloth Ears lived in Scotland?

7 Likes

:+1: Fixt a little :innocent:

3 Likes

Not even close.

1 Like

I thought notevenclose was fine…

1 Like

Ha, it did make me think of him as I typed it out :smiley:

Going to the gym…

I’d love a couple of those bottles, mainly to annoy vegetarians.

My neighbour has shot over sixty squirrels already this year.

Says it all. Rats with a nicer tail.

Fair few magpies as well. Alsmost wish I could add cats to the list.

Bonus is I have astounding numbers of songbirds, and have added a nightingale, peregrine falcon, and sparrowhawk to the garden spotted list is year. I don’t mind indigenous predators.

Wow! No damage to the car.