The shit that doesn't merit its own thread (the resurrection)

Sorry, meant Precious insider dealing, capitalist cunt (in the nicest possible way :slightly_smiling_face: ) :slightly_smiling_face:

Iā€™m certainly going to short sell minions. It seems the market is flooded with shoddy units that are overly gobby.
:kissing_heart:
All I need is the other side of the arb nowā€¦

Shoddy ? Yea, maybe.

Overly gobby ? Valid.

Minion? Defo

1 Like

Heā€™s right, but we all knew that. Sadly investment was made but alone it didnā€™t transform the NHS in the way that was needed. Now itā€™s too late for plan A and plan B is going to cost many times more, and this government appears unwilling to recognise let alone act and start doing something about it.

Instead theyā€™ve continued pretending it isnā€™t happening and bullying its leaders into trying to make the best out of fuck all.

I like three guardian review of the new Bjork track: ā€œItā€™s like overhearing two nymphs having a flute-off in a wood full of horny ghosts.ā€

1 Like

I suspect that @htm_1968 will have pre-ordered the limited edition bile green vinyl edition.

3 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I suspect that @MGOwner will have done an involuntary sex wee on the basis of the description alone.

VB

6 Likes

:scream:

1 Like

Not knowing itā€™s associated with Bjorkā€™s screeching. Instant soft-on :face_vomiting:

1 Like

I do like a flute, mind :heart_eyes:

Good point, well made.

VB

1 Like

:toilet:

oopsā€¦

1 Like

The following two paragraphs explain our emotional response to music and is worth reading even if youā€™re vaguely interested. None of this is particularly new to me, however itā€™s an excellent explanation, the best Iā€™ve read, and doesnā€™t require any prior understanding of music theory. The square brackets are my additions.

ā€¦

The ā€œfundamental musical problemsā€ we will address in the study of counterpoint center around the way in which some basic principles of auditory perception and cognition (how the brain perceives and conceptualizes sound) play out in Western musical structure. For example, our brains tend to assume that sounds similar in pitch or timbre come from the same source. Our brains also listen for patterns, and when a new sound continues or completes a previously heard pattern, it assumes that the new sound belongs together with those others. On the other hand, the breaking of these regularities in the sonic environment can signal danger, or at the very least the need for heightened attention to be applied to the sonic ā€œculprit.ā€ Identifying irregularities in the sonic environment and boosting attention and adrenaline when one is found have been absolutely essential to the survival of the human species. These abilities are also what allows music to have the emotional effect that it does on so many people. Whether or not a composer or songwriter is aware of the science and psychology of hearing, a masterful composer mediates and plays with these basic concepts.

ā€œMediatesā€ and ā€œplaysā€ are important ideas here. Music that simply makes it easy for the brain to parse and process sound is boring [A nursery rhyme] ā€”it calls for no heightened attention, it doesnā€™t increase our heart rate, make the hair on the back of our neck stand up, or give us a little jolt of dopamine. On the other hand, music that constantly activates our innate sense of danger is hardly pleasant for most listeners [Free Jazz]. Thus, fundamental to most of the music we will study is the dance between tension and relaxation, motion and rest.

Where does Prog fit in?

2 Likes

ā€œFitā€, lol, prog struggles to fit the xylophone solo onto a single CD.

6 Likes

Didnā€™t Jimmy Young refer to his show as a Prog e.g. ā€˜in tomorrows progā€™. Perhaps Terry isnā€™t as progressive as we all thought, a closet JY fan ? :thinking:

2 Likes

Between a nursery rhyme and free jazz. But considerably closer to the former in terms of following compositional conventions.

[/flute]

1 Like

Normally I donā€™t approve of guns in general, and guns at concerts in particular. However, this makes me think there is a role for giant models of guns:

2 Likes