The shit that doesn't merit its own thread (the resurrection)

Neither - Altern-8 rave revival gig

3 Likes

Sort of leads into this.

Marginally less distressing than the full lycra lookā€¦

Fixt

2 Likes

2nd interview with Aussie commodities traders (no, really) next week. Another with scary Americans tomorrow. Phone interview with an outfit that I now realise are a consultancy (argh! Accenture flashback! nurse! the curtains!) tonight.

The days of playing Borderlands and doing the occasional spot of development for a laugh are looking seriously endangered.

Have fun and good luck!

I could write a book about appalling interviews - ā€œIā€™m very concerned about your ageā€, ā€œWe donā€™t need code reviews, weā€™re all experienced engineersā€, ā€œSit down. I think thereā€™s a chair under all those boxesā€, and the git who thought it was hilarious to take the piss out of my (mild, was a hell of a lot worse when I was a kid) stammer. I had difficulty in not just punching him in the nose. The company was amazed when I turned down a second interview. Or the interviewers who simply didnā€™t turn up because they were ā€œbusyā€.

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll have a few more war stories by the end of this particular cycle.

1 Like

was on an interview panel this morning. It isnā€™t very professional when one candidate starts spouting off confidential details of cases he had dealt withā€¦and how one would have to be (and I genuinely quote)ā€¦ā€œlike a Lion to line manage meā€¦ā€

I once had an interview at the AWE. A rag bag of directors, scientists and HR asked me a series of entirely irrelevant and unrelated questions for 2 hours, adjourned the meeting for 1.5 hours and then called me back into the interview room and said they would like to offer me the job.

ā€˜Which job is this then?ā€™ I asked, to which they took another 30 minute recess before coming back and saying ā€˜not sureā€™. They closed the interview and said they were impressed and would call me back in for a follow up, no doubt with an entirely new but equally clueless random selection of their staff.

After 3 months they rang me up and asked how much I wanted, to which I again asked ā€˜to do whatā€™. This led to a further delay of about another few weeks before some-one who said they were ā€˜very seniorā€™ came back to me on the phone and asked for me to ā€˜stop playing games and name my priceā€™.

I politely said I would need to consider this very carefully and get back to them. Iā€™ve left them quivering in anticipation for more than a decade now as its a difficult thing to make such a big decision onā€¦

3 Likes

How times have changed.
I remember when the Job centre would send you to a job,and you would start that day or the next.

No cv,no checks no nothing.

So I presume heā€™s now hired? :grin:

3 were shortlisted, one internal candidate from another department (perfect slot in for this vacancy), one who was semi-internal (from the roster of casuals), and the one that needed a lion tamer! - it was a no brainerā€¦

Cardiothoracic surgeon?

Barrister

1 Like

One was manager of a newsagents,the other was running a hifi/camera department.

Tricky here but if you are prepared to work in Louisiana then maybe not Frank Abagnale - Wikipedia.

VB

1 Like

ICAP? I moved their trading system from two buildings down to one when they bought the old Lehmans office in liverpool st.

Iā€™d be grateful if someone can identify an icon that has recently appeared on my phone. Itā€™s the one to the left of the wifi icon. It disappears temporarily when I pull down the notification area. It doesnā€™t appear to be related to the volume buttons.

Iā€™ve never used a CV when changing jobs - itā€™s always reputation and word-of-mouth stuff. Had some pretty responsible, well paid positions too.

1 Like