The Wonderful World of Turntable Design AKA: Dave's Fugly World Of TT Wank

Type of drive system with a wheel between the motor and the platter. Mostly found in older decks.
See http://denondj.com/kb/article/2241

1 Like

You can never have too many TTā€™s, selling them on often leaves regret

Former owner of Sony 6750 and Thorens td135, 135 funded a 124 which has so far only collected dust :frowning:

3 Likes

Which 124 did you get - mk1 or 2?

I had a 124, sold it. I found it quite neutral compared to a Garrard. I prefer my Garrard.

Isnā€™t Johnnybaby buying a 401? You should buy that.

Sellingā€¦ But yes buy that one.

1 Like

What hinges are on it?

1 Like

The combination that I like (out of the variants Iā€™ve tried) on the 301 has been an SME M2-12R/ Fidelity Research FR-7. For mono, I use an Ortofon RMG-309 (12ā€ arm, despite the strange numbering) and an SPU G Mono. Another combination that I briefly tried and ā€˜workedā€™ has been an SME 312S with a Supex SD-909.

There are many other combinations to try yet, but I keep going back to the M2-12R/FR-7 set up because I love the rich purity of tone it produces and the way it excels with most types of music.

Iā€™ve only had an SME V (with various cartridges) on the TD-124 so far, but Iā€™ve had less time to play with that as my entire system has been boxed up for a year now. Anyway, Iā€™ve recently made a 12ā€ armboard for it, so much experimentation to be had.

I think, if I were really pushed to make a choice, I would buy one of Mattā€™s 301ā€™s and put an M2-12R on it (very traditional looking arm, but with all of the benefits of modern bearings and precision engineering)

As I said, these are only my thoughts, plenty others will disagree :wink:

Interesting as the combo I use most is a 312S with Supex SD900 (origninal version) on the SP10.

Ha. Yes, coincidentally I have a Supex SD 900 Super which I have used with the 312S on my SP-10 too :grin:

The other arm on the SP10 is a SME IV with a Ortofon Rhondo Bronze, more punchy and bass if you want to move air.

Very helpful chaps. Even better with photos :slightly_smiling_face:

Just pop round and Iā€™ll get them out of the boxes and you can snap away until your heartā€™s content :wink:

3 Likes

Take Aldi beer with you Wayne

Lidl

1 Like

Probably less hassle if you leave them in the boxes and post them down here for the photo shoot :+1::grinning:

1 Like

This is the M2-12R + FR-7

except itā€™s on an SP-10 :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Yes, I did mean selling.

The 301 with the Ortofon RMG-309 + SPU Mono (also an SME 312S + Audio Tekne MC-6301)

(Scalford 2015)

7 Likes

Aaah I remember now - I thought you had that plinth, and I heard that playing in your room. Very nice :slightly_smiling_face: