The Wonderful World of Turntable Design AKA: Dave's Fugly World Of TT Wank

Aye, pink in particular

Nice piece about platters & bearings.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/manufacture/0208/

If I was in the market for a sub Ā£1000 TT Iā€™d be making Emporium a lowball offer for that Lurne TT with the Xenon & fixing it.

2 Likes

Very interesting.

The run down time on the Motus II seems adequate :wink:

Iā€™d agree in the case of the Motus but I think in some instances a little constant drag can be useful in smoothing out pulses in the motorā€™s ā€˜pullā€™.

That said, the chap behind this device feels that increasing the drag compromises the dynamic range of the TT.

http://www.9tci.com/

It isnā€™t an experiment Iā€™ve tried.

Didnā€™t the Cranfield Rock have ā€˜dragā€™ via the bearing with a viscous liquid?

Yes although Iā€™m not sure it was ever effectively able to lift its platter/bearing as some suggested it did.

I suppose thatā€™s the key word, although Iā€™m not sure how much additional ā€˜noiseā€™ the drag would create (and if that noise was audible)

How much drag does a stylus create running in the groove? Is that audible and, if so, how can it be compensated for?

As you can see, I donā€™t know the answers to these questions :grinning:

Subjective i know, however the ā€œbestā€ sounding bearing i tried in my diy Lenco projects was one with a deliberate drag, a tight tolerance plus a honey type lubricant (a very thick oil). It was the one that also stopped in the smoothest way.

Did you make the bearing or was it a commercial one?

Same q as above

Somewhere inbetween. Was made by a chap who posted on LH. I had an early one, he tried to make a business out of it but failed.

1 Like

Ah, I remember

As well as stopping in the smoothest way it also had the shortest spin down time. I must have had 6 different bearings in total. I kinda concluded its not how long it takes to stop but how it stops that is important.
Probably bollocks but there you are.

Edit to add. My 1200gr actually spins backwards slightly when it stops which is CRAP. I donā€™t think its bearing related more likely some sort of magnetic cogging.

The Kronos has an inverted bearing with a single ceramic ball running in an oil bath.

So some sort of non contact, possibly magnetic system for resistance to the motor turning would therefore be ideal? Someone should look into thatā€¦

1 Like

If there was a right way theyā€™d all be doing it.

Physics neans compromises and as he says, throw aesthetics in the pot as wellā€¦

1 Like

I think he was referring to Garrardā€™s eddy current brake :grinning:

Oops, yesā€¦ I should probably learn to read. One dayā€¦

typing would be good too :wink:

3 Likes