The Wonderful World of Turntable Design AKA: Dave's Fugly World Of TT Wank

Looking at the photos the box says 1984 and according to wiki they stopped making the PT1 in 1985 so looks to be a late’ish one.

I’ll make a cheeky offer, he can always tell me to get tee fuck.

Bloody hell, looking at historical prices they seem to go for around £250 upwards so it really will have to be a cheeky offer.

The last PT1 I sold was for £400. Then bought one for half that locally that needed a small amount of work.

I like the PT1, the Anniversary is better, but is it 4 - 5 times better?

My Anniv cost a lot less than they go for now, but I bought it yonks ago. It will appreciate in value, unlike the OL decks.

Circa 1950

Pah, big girl’s turntable.

Circa 1980

3 Likes

Is that a fidelity research arm?

Looks it.

Could be. It was designed in Japan. It looks pretty advanced for 1980 and was the forerunner to the Micro Seiki.

The Melco was a spectacular sounding deck. I recall hearing one in Stockholm many years ago, deeply impressive.

In the late 70’s a Japanese guy Be Yamamura (who also ran a Sushi restaurant in Soho) was importing them usually fitted with FR arms, along with Kondo’s AudioNote cartridges & earliest amplifiers. He was putting together systems that were way more ambitious (& expensive) than anything anyone else was doing. They’d do presentations at London hotels and would shock the journalists & enthusiasts of the time who were otherwise used to a diet of Linn & Naim as being the ultimate in high end gear.

A bit about Melco here. Funnily enough the same company who recently returned with their range of streamers.

Yamamura stayed in the UK til the mid/late 80’s, custom building fairly extreme equipment & systems for people but eventually moved to Italy & still does it there.

http://zero-distortion.org/yamamura-horns/

Would love to find one of the Air 211 amps he was making in the early 80’s. Lovely sounding things. Most went to Denmark I think. PQ used to get them from him & sell them there.

6 Likes

The Melcos look well ahead of their time. You can see how they’ve spawned a thousand imitators.

I suppose comparison with Micro Seiki is inevitable. Was there any connection or just rivals doing similar things?

Have you listened to those horns Guy? The relative compactness is appealing.

1 Like

I think Micro Seiki’s serious turntables came along just afterwards although they’d been operating as an engineering company since 1961.

1 Like

Love to hear those horns!

They make my Oris 150s look tiny

Needs tapped horns

I’m sure I’ve been at a show where there were some but I can’t recall hearing them. For a while Yamamura was in cahoots with some minor nobility (member of the Churchill family) and was trading out of Wardour Castle in Wiltshire and I think they were making & selling a version of these speakers from there.

I was contacted by someone 3 or 4 years ago who was trying to write a biography of Yamamura & seek out some of his more ‘out there’ creations. I was also sent pictures by Peter from Deco of some bits that a Be customer was chopping into the shop. A mad looking unipivot arm with ceramic tube, a Melco a-like heavyweight turntable he’d made and some fairly extreme speaker components. I may still have the pics somewhere. I’ll have a look. Yamamura turned up at Munich in 2016 if memory serves with some very large horns on static display using the larger Ale compression drivers.

5 Likes

It’s airways struck me as odd to have the thin part of the horn going through the wider part - surely an offset or very slight twist would make building and machining so much easier! Was it for structural integrity, or sound, do we think?

One of Be’s bespoke TT’s. I think this one had an air bearing. Note the very long ceramic armtubed unipivot.

Another one (this time with a Graham).

If thats a 12" LP it’s a substantial platter.

Remnants of the unipivot end of the ceramic arm as inherited by Deco.

2 Likes

Bloody hell, the arm in that first pic looks mental