The Wonderful World of Turntable Design AKA: Dave's Fugly World Of TT Wank

Ahem, I placed a platter (that I made) on top of a cheap cast iron bearing housing from a 50hp electric motor.

6 Likes

It is a thing of beauty!

What were you thinking :thinking:

But the platter is the best thing about it :slightly_smiling_face:

I walked past my scrap bin and thought oooooooo that looks heavy.

6 Likes

Would like to hear that, is it still in Florida?

Tell the truth. Someone said ā€˜thereā€™s no fucking way you could make that into a turntableā€™

and you fell for it

:open_mouth:

Actually, someone on another forum said ā€œYou cant do that it will ring like a bell.ā€

Hence the logo/strap line on www.teribil-audio.com

3 Likes

They should do a turntable special -

3 Likes

Yeah.

The platter/bearing was made in such a way it was easy to put in any plinth/base. I intended to make something out of epoxy granite but wanted to try out the platter.

Id also just bought a powder coating gun and spotted some heavy bits in the scrap heap and happily started powder coating anything I could reach.

Then I came home to the UK, the platter alone weighs 15kg so in Florida it sits.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Can we have a whip round to pay shipping and retrieve the platter from Florida if it is mounted suitably

Pig / boar / Conservative voters skull ?

3 Likes

I like skulls.

3 Likes

Going back to proper turntables that donā€™t have rubber bands for a moment, thatā€™s the first pic Iā€™ve seen of the SL-1000R.

I think Iā€™m in loveā€¦ :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

Haha someone has spent days lovingly carving the designs, then someone else has said - no, this needs tusks glued onā€¦

1 Like

ā€¦ even if they would have meant that the animal couldnā€™t see forwards.

VB

Yeah but no butā€¦ Babirusaā€¦ (which I know this isnā€™t)

Oh jesusā€¦ take the wheel!

This (below) is that new SP10R motor unit dropped into Technicsā€™ newest plinth with their current best arm.

Supposedly the plinth and motor unit are back compatible so the new motor unit could be dropped into one of the older SL1000 plinths.

4 Likes

Beautiful looking deck

The best. Bigly.