The Wonderful World of Turntable Design AKA: Dave's Fugly World Of TT Wank

Sounds like a great room! Do you remember what turntable he used?

'Fraid not. I never saw the turntable - I only ever went into the living room. But occasionally there was music playing and if it was on disk rather than tape then he would sometimes go next door to change the discs. As I say, this was all well over 40 years ago and I was just 15 or so.

VB

Ha, pity :slight_smile:

I discovered the effect of added reverb due to the pickup of airborne and structure borne vibration whilst working at Garrard. When we bought this house in 1981 there was a small “study” next to the living room. I set up everything except the speakers in the study to avoid this (and the tiny hands we had round here back them).
I probably prefer the sound with a bit of feedback though

FWIW a Garrard 401 with SME arm and Goldring MM cartridge with simple RIAA stage picked up buses driving by 4 storeys down and across the works carpark. Mind you the RIAA stage had no rumble filter and the deck was on the standard rubber grommets which don’t isolate down to low frequencies.

Audiomeca €3400. Audiomarkt
http://audio-markt.de/_markt/uploaded/5587187798_g.jpg

5 Likes

Does it work?

I am a fan of Audiomeca stuff, especially the digital stuff.

https://www.audio-markt.de/_markt/item.php?id=5587187798&g
I should think so. Here are the details of the sale.

Designed by Pierre Lurne who also did the Goldmund Studio.

1 Like

Was going to say it looks like a Goldmund with those buttons.

This Artisan Fidelity rebuilt Technics SP10MK3 looks interesting but one hell of a price tag!!

3 Likes

Must. Sell. The. House.

How much? For a Technics deck? Fuck that shit.

1 Like

An unmolested Mk3 would probably fetch £8-9K these days so there’s some ‘value added’ here!

What were/are the main differences in the MK3 over the MK2?

That red one does look sexy though.

Much more powerful motor & much heavier platter. I think the Mk3 motor & it’s power supply were a good deal more sophisticated but I’ve never heard the 2 side by side.

Just a different motor, plinth, platter and bearing.

Otherwise they’re the same

From the Vintage Knob:

Mostly different from the SP-10MKII bestseller is
 everything !
The drive itself sees its weight doubled from 9,5kg to 18kg. More precisely : the platter of the MK3 weighs as much as the entire MK2 drive.
The SP-10MK3 is mechanically based on Technics’ SP-02M cutting lathe so this explains that.

Starting torque of this new ultra-low speed brushless DC motor allows a 16kg/cm spec - twice as much as that of the 1975 SP-10MK2 and
 sixteen times as much as the original 1969 SP-10 !
This means a full speed ahead in 30° of a full rotation or 0,25s.

The inertia moment of the 10kg platter is of 1,1 ton/cm2
 The platter has a 1,5cm copper alloy core (inner platter), supported by a diecast aluminium outer platter.
1,1 ton/cm2 is, btw, the equivalent of 1000 tonearms all tracking at 2g.

The power supply houses a very beefy and resin cast transformer (inside) and the speed and start/stop controls plus the ± 9,9% pitch control in 0,1% steps (outside).
You can see design iterations for this power supply under Knobber Image #3.

The recommended tonearm and base were the EPA-100MK2 and SH-10B5 (but the original EPA-100 can work just as well !)

The boosted signal-to-noise ratio reaches 92db - not as much as an Exclusive P3 but respectable just the same.
There is however number’s magic here : the EIAJ changed its DIN B measurement method in 1981 to “better measure what the ear hears”.
This had the effect of raising signal-to-noise ratio by about 20dB, whatever was measured.

The SP-10MK3, or any other component for that matter, doesn’t have an actual 20dB boost in s/n ratio : physics have their limits.
When compared to the SP-10MKII : if measured with the same referenced method, they’d measure about the same. And 78dB or 80dB is already plenty enough !

2 Likes

This is a great site for lots of reasons, but it also gives out a lot of info on SP-10s

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/sp10page.html

Modern take on the Cotter B1 with modern materials & technology!

I bet it sounds quite nice!

Very silly, but nicely executed.

6 Likes