Things you no longer see

Who knows then. I remember my grandparents house still used these in the late 1980s.

Had those sockets in our first flat. We were given enough plugs so I made a handful of extension cables for modern plugs.

Interestingly I saw one of those yesterday when I was pulling out plugs in our hotel room to look for a socket to plug in my phone charger that wasnā€™t right over the other side of the room.

Possibly a low current lamp plug.

It was on a lamp in a self catering holiday place which, slightly incongruously, was converted from a barn in 2004.

1 Like

They might have wired it using radials rather than spurs.

I have no idea what I have just typed actually means, but Mr Dunn loves the radials and the roundy prong plug and no fuses, anywhere, especially in speaker protection circuits. He might very well be right, I couldnā€™t possibly comment.

Last time I bothered to look, the 5A round-pin plugs were still legitimate fodder for 5A lighting circuits, just no-one uses them any more.

When Paul (ā€œHomelessā€) Messenger offered to review the F3 stuff (big mistake), he insisted I supply one with 15A round-pin sockets , because he will use nothing else for his hifi, apparently (cos, you know, 15 is a bigger number than 13, so clearly betterā€¦). He didnā€™t take well to being told no cunt makes 15A output sockets for MDUsā€¦

3 Likes

Dammit.

Iā€™ve always thought him one of the most reliable pair of ears for describing pretty much what I hear in a loudspeaker.

Fortunately Iā€™m no longer thinking of changing speakers. :hear_no_evil::bearded_person::wink:

saw several 2 pin plugs at my friends house last week but he is very old fashioned still listening to 78`s and has carpets over 50 years old . he can still rember what they all cost to fit as well ! incredible guy

P1060147 by , on Flickr

don`t see many of these , these days !

1 Like

You might if you go here on Sunday

You might see some classic hi-fi for sale too. Iā€™ll be there (just mooching about, not as a seller).

VB

1 Like

Even though it is pretty much round the corner, unlike the model train fair a couple of months ago it may not be a good thing for an almost 3yo KettleJnr (I take it there will be some interesting exposed voltages on top caps during the day).

Thereā€™s unlikely to be much plugged in as only the stalls which back onto the hallā€™s outer walls have mains power and most of them donā€™t seem to use it. There will be quite a lot of stuff at floor level though (you can see how people pile things up down there). Some of it is potentially sharp-edged and/or a bit expensive/fragile so if he/she is inquisitive you might have your hands full. Iā€™m afraid there will also be precious little to keep them amused, although there is a sit-down canteen area. One last thing to bear in mind is that ticket prices are really aimed at those who are coming for at least half a day or so. So it could be a bit expensive if one of the party is going to be bored after 45 minutes.

All that said, the odd baby in buggy or in back/chestpack puts in an appearance each year, and one or two primary school children holding dadā€™s hand are to be seen too.

VB

mmm looks good

1 Like

How did you manage to get a photo of Soddersā€™ wedding dress?

9 Likes

ā€œI swear, it was THIS big !ā€

VB

went to an amazing needle museum in redditch yesterday and they had some incredible stuff including a celestion gramophone and all the needles you could ever want . i never knew some only lasted 10 records !!!

well worth a visit

http://www.forgemill.org.uk/