Today I have mainly been

Pickling beetroot. Making chutney. Freezing runner beans. Talking to my peppers

2 Likes

Good for her. Congratulations !

VB

2 Likes

Congratulations Pete, shame the weather turned out so shitty, it is sheeting down here in Liverpool. I hope you all have a great day. What did she study?

I really like the look of the big bastards though I suppose it all depends on how they sound.

Politics and philosophy, dropped economics after first year :grinning: She got a first in economics but maths was never her strength and she knew it was going to be too much.

She ended up with a 2-1 and is happy.

1 Like

Getting some pointers for later

Wife away. Supposed to be taking kids to airshow. Son ill with fever since last night… :+1:

I’m really impressed in many ways. There is huge scale and presence which I really appreciate. The new Diamond tweeter is something else in terms of clarity. Yesterday, I found myself listening to music at appreciably higher SPLs than with the Alnicos without really noticing I was doing so.

The downside is that there is a very big increase in the the amount to really low bass as compared to my own speakers. I really like this for the dubbier and more electronic music I listen to, but everyone in the house has already told me to turn it down. :grin: I’m experimenting with the positioning, but my impression is that they are overloading my room when firing across the width as I prefer with the Alnicos. I’ll give it a few days and then try them firing down the length of the room.

Sensible girl. Working to your strengths and recognising your weaknesses is a very good strategy.

I hope you didn’t have to drive back last night. The weather was horrible here and can’t have been any better up the road.

So the other option is to upgrade the tweeter in the current speakers if the bass issue isn’t fixed? Seems like you’ll win either way.

Yep. Unfortunately, changing the tweeter means that the baffle and crossover network would need to be reworked which is moderately expensive.

I suspect this is only going to end up one way though…:smiling_imp:. Very expensive.

2 Likes

Dealing with this, which happened in my garage at 10pm last night. Isolator fire, then the main house fuse blew and, like all good electrical kit, what was left of the isolator self-extinguished. I have a proper sparky coming to put it right and get my mains power back first thing on Monday. In the meantime I have a small standby supply.

VB

Bloody hell! Hope everyone is OK.
What amp were you working on? :grinning:

What happened there? Lightening strike?

Blimey! I bet it stinks.

In some ways it was a bit of a non-event. The garage has eaves vents and the prevailing wind blows through from the back to the front. The meter is at the front, so any smoke would have been draughted out. All the same I was surprised that there was almost no smoke at all visible by torchlight. It was 10pm so I’d been watching the TV. The first I knew was when the consumer unit RCD tripped and all the power went off. I’m not sure what was the cause and what the effect there, except that I think the RCD was detecting the upstream fault (hard to explain I know, but they are very sensitive) because even with all the MCBs down I couldn’t get it to reset for some tens of seconds. By the time I got round to the garage the metal embers in the smouldering isolator were still glowing red but there was no fire. I pulled the meter tails out just in case they were still live (the last thing I needed was them re-starting anything) and quit for the night. I was well into the third glass of wine and messing with stuff like this needs a clear head and broad daylight.

There was no lightning in the immediate vicinity I think, but it was raining quite hard and in those circumstances (albeit in another place) I have seen the mains voltage be wound up in a conurbation so as to maintain it at a reasonable level at the far end of a country feed. If the mains voltage was high here then that could have stressed an already iffy component beyond what it could stand.

Clearly the isolator ‘went on fire’ and when I checked today I found that the 80A fuse you can see on the left of it hadn’t blown, whereas the 100A one below the meter had. So the main event was certainly in the isolator itself, not in the wiring beyond it. Talking just a few moments ago to a neighbour who’s in the building trade, he reminded me that the 17th edition of the wiring regs now requires consumer units to be metal cased. I guess this is because once in a while they do go on fire and we’re all better off if the fire stays inside. The case will also be safety earthed so in the event of a live wire melting through its insulation it will take out the house fuse sharpish.

Even if the sparky doesn’t insist I will get him to replace the isolator with a metal boxed one, and I’ll ask for a price for having the consumer unit done too.

VB

4 Likes

I survived a day stuck in the flat with a pretty unwell five year old and an energetic three year old. Actually managed to have a nice and pretty chilled day without resorting to 12 hours of telly (we did watch a couple of films though).

Cheap as chips!

Telling Admiral the depth and angular velocity by which they can swivel.

1 Like

Did similar last month. Jobs worth cnuts.