Today I have mainly been

Ha Ha Ha - what is your PhD in?

Photoshop, probably.

Wew.

4 Likes

My PhD is junk. It’s what I’ve done since that’s really impressive :joy: :joy: :joy:

Only kidding.

I must warn you though, someone did once file a formal complaint against me because I shouted at them

Everyone thinks he’s a dick though

do they? Well it takes a dick to know a cunt

1 Like

He did definitely think i was a cunt

You rock.

For accuracies sake.

3 Likes

My finger slipped (said the actress to the Bishop).

Seriously, was he sacked for shouting at you?

he had serious behavioural issues, it wasn’t the shouting it was what was said. We was on a final written warning.

Raising ones voice is exceptionally unusual and surprising in our sector but it isn’t in itself a sackable action.

Wow

Spent the day in London at an OWASP training course. Set off at 6am and got home at 9pm. Absolutely knackered.

I can probably count on the fingers of one hand, where voices have been raised in anger in my 25+ years in my experience . Yes we have heated discussions, and disagreements but they end amiably - in my experience reason and polite requests achieves alot here.

In fact Louise tells me it is much the same at her place (private sector) we she manages 60 engineers - 57 of which are blokes… rarely voices raised in anger.

But at least you can now spot wasps and yell out a warning. That’ll come in dead handy next spring when the bastards reappear. I hate them.

VB

1 Like
4 Likes

Just how many accuracies are we talking?

Manys’.

2 Likes

This.

Usually, in my nearly 30 years in University life, the raising of voices in an unprofessional manner masks something else (professional frustration, stress, disappointment, jealousy, personal issues). This usually can be defused and coped with.

Unfortunately, I had one colleague shout and swear at me at the top of his voice in front of senior staff and visitors. He soon left, not because of the shouting, but because there are no circumstances where swearing at a colleague in a threatening or aggressive fashion is acceptable It was absolutely awful. Sadly the person in question was later found to be very ill, which had been missed despite behavioural hints which were obvious with hindsight.

The users of the various facilities that I was, over the years, involved with were very largely university researchers. They were almost always polite and professional. But one additional cause of shouting which isn’t on your list was ‘being Russian’. Not all Russians were shouty, but quite a few were. Not usually in a confrontational or upsetting way, just in a loud and excitable way. Once any debate had risen above the level of completely trivial, they started shouting at pretty much everyone. It was just the way they were. After a while we got used to it.

VB

2 Likes

True. I also omitted drunk from the list. Most of the academics I know become very loud when they have had a few, but that is an acceptable context.

In fact, when I was sworn at, I had a graduate student in my office. She was Russian. She went silent, said nothing as the abuse was hurled, and sat absolutely still, Once my colleague was ushered away, she picked the conversation up from exactly where she had stopped when interrupted. I was very impressed!