Today I have mainly been

You’ll have more success hunting the herb

1 Like

Those days are gone, squatted near here for a couple years in my youth, thankfully it’s all out of my system

1 Like

I have got to admit, this amp is doing something quite entertaining :grin:

The combination of the CAST Hybrid caps and the AN silver tants is really lovely.
The CAST hybrid caps seems to have more sparkle at he top end, compared to the CAST Cu, which themselves are more open than the RS. Although it’s all small margins tbh. There also seems to be a life, colour and delicacy which is step above even the Shinkoh / CAST Cu amps I have built in the past.

Humble Homemade HiFi says this about the CAST Hybrid caps:

“Sound: The CAST copper silver hybrid capacitor is very similar to the pure copper version but with added top end openness. The hybrid is same as the CAST-Cu in regards to having an extremely neutral tonal balance with very life like harmonics, especially audible with acoustic instruments but things seem a little clearer, more “there”. For example, William Lawes’ “Consort Sets in Five & Six Parts” (performed by Jordi Savall with Hesperion XXI) is known for it’s rich and structured nature, with the Duelund CAST-Cu-Ag Hybrid this layered form of music becomes more obvious, more tangible than with the pure copper version. It seems like the silver content makes the top end “shine” a little more, making it easier to differentiate between all the rich harmonic overtones this type of music is well known for. In direct comparison to a Mundorf Supreme EVO Silver Gold Oil they sound darker but that is only relative because the Mundorf focusses on the top end with (to my ears) a little too much energy. The Duelund CAST-Cu-Ag Hybrid simply sounds so much more like real music to me, more intimate as well. The Duelund copper silver hybrid has a natural ease, is just about tonally perfect, spatious, smooth and open at the same time. Comparing it with the lower cost Duelunds such as the Rs-Cu, the RS seems a little “calmer” and less well defined in the top octave. Now, I did find rating this capacitor to be a little difficult because one could be inclined to say that the Duelund CAST-Cu-Ag Hybrid must be “at least 2 points better” than the Duelund CAST-Cu, especially after having such great results with Duelund’s seperate 0,01uF pure silver bypass capacitors. I would be more inclined to say that if you have a system that is performing extremely well, tonally well balanced, coherent and musical and you want to get some more “life” out of it, the Duelund CAST-Cu-Ag Hybrid is the only way to go. As from now I will be supplying the Plutone loudspeaker with this capacitor as an optional extra. That proves just how good it is. You won’t be disappointed :-)”

and Slaven at SW1X says this about the resistors:

"Yet, the effect of having 2W silver tantalums instead of the copper 2W, was rather shocking, so shocking in fact that we immediately ordered more pairs in order to replace all series resistors in our other ladder attenuators.

In sum, the effect of having the silver tantalum resistors is similar to removing a couple of layers thick blankets from your speakers and having released a dynamics handbrake from music. The clarity and dynamics remain even at lower volume levels, so that music doe not loose its emotional appeal anymore. That is the other interesting aspect to the sound – now we can enjoy listening to music at significantly lower volume levels relative to before. The AN silver tantalum resistors are not just our reference- they are the closest alternative of having no resistor- ultimate resistor bar none. So, do yourself a favor and try those by replacing your series resistors with AN Silver tantalums and you will be rewarded with a dramatic improvement in clarity, transparency and low level musical information you have never heard before or even thought it ever existed in your recording. The results is very similar to having your output transformers replaced with Permalloy cores and silver wingdings."

I may not go along with the flowery language or hyperbole, but the I think I am generally hearing something similar.

Nice :+1:

but well spendy :sob:

In Wells waiting to watch one of the mental Somerset carnivals.

2 Likes

:+1: Loved visiting family to watch the Weston-Super-Mare carnival as a kid.

At the Constructing Excellence awards dinner at the Grosvenor Square Marriot.

5 Likes

Love the white gloves.

Serving behind the bar or waiting tables?

4 Likes

Collecting the award for the Costa Roastery :grinning:

9 Likes

The light reflecting off your Cape lends the room an exotic aura.

4 Likes

Hope it goes better than this;

1 Like

Oops, I didn’t realise you were working in the Costa in Foyer…

Throwing things out. And looking for pre-recorded R2R tapes as I now find myself with not one but two R2R decks, one valve.

1 Like

I know where there’s a R2R copy of “What’s Going On?” on 5" reels iirc. Will try to find out about price tomorrow if you want?

Banging on about press fittings to anyone who would listen and showing my tool to anyone who showed the slightest interest.

1 Like

Yes please.

Will do.

It sounds fabulous on vinyl, so one can only imagine what a properly sorted R to R can get out of it.

Not just the GasSafe register then…

1 Like