Today I have mainly been

Thanks everyone for your advice, I really appreciate it. I have stayed at home today after making some calls. I feel flatter than a very flat thing this morning.

7 Likes

If disco has taught us anything itā€™s that youā€™ve got to get down before you can get up.

Take it easy on yourself Ritchie.

4 Likes

You need a lovely new phono stage to cheer you upā€¦

ā€¦oh wait :+1:

1 Like

Once again Iā€™m in A&E with a sick child :unamused:

oh no, I hope it turns out ok

Nothing too serious I hope

Some kind of infection, not life threatening once itā€™s in hand

Are you getting some of the governmentā€™s new ā€˜corridorā€™ care? (Available in all good A&E departments this winter)

One advantage of being in the kidsā€™ section is thereā€™s a bit more space. And cartoons on TV.

Itā€™s annoying that this kind of thing canā€™t be dealt with outside of hospital - i assume that treatment doesnā€™t require an inpatient stay in a ward?

Depends whether they want to use IV antibiotics, I imagine. They are testing right now, which can only be done at the hospital - need to find out what and where the infection is.

Then we will probably need to spend a week getting her to drink the antibiotics :face_vomiting:

Frustrating that. Current configuration aside though I know that a great deal of these types of tests can be done perfectly well outside of hospital, and theres largely only exceptional reasons why IV fluids canā€™t be done in the community. Iā€™m currently pushing hard for this to be rolled out at scale across Notts and Derbyshire.

Yeah we have a community hospital in St Albans which should be able to do this stuff. It seems to me that there should be more easily accessible urgent care locally, although perhaps the need for a paediatric doctor might mean a larger facility is more appropriate.

Iā€™d only be fussy and say Community Service rather than hospital which implies beds, which arenā€™t the issue and treatment in this country has overly and unsafely conflated beds with treatment.

we have an urgent care centre near us, that replaced the qe2 hospital, and it appears to work well as a service between gp and hospital, or as an out of hours gp.

Today at work I set off the fire alarm for the weekly test before my mate was ready to reset it at the fire panel. That made him run :smile:

I can imagine itā€¦ā€Would Inspector Sands pleaseā€¦ā€

ā€œFUCK!!!ā€

Ha! When I worked at rail stations I always thought if I hear that to get ready to collect my tools and leg it!

The company I work for builds voice alarm systems for public places & buildings. We hear all sorts of messages and often joke weā€™d be oblivious to it if we were there and one went off.

1 Like

Over at @coco 's - finishing off the casework on the BTJ9000S. :grinning:

12 Likes

Fixing the tap on my kitchen sink. Itā€™s >20 years old and we live in a very hard water area. So the ceramic inserts go leaky every so often and the type that the tap needs is not the type which has now become the standard. Also the limescale has chewed up the o-rings which seal the (rotating) spout to the tap body and neither o-ring is present in the Ā£1 blister pack of assorted o-rings on sale in Wilkoā€™s. Screwfix flogged me a Ā£10 selection of 225 o-rings which included two which were near enough. Given the worn state of the inside of the tap body and the grooves in the spout I donā€™t give them long. For now Mrs VB is pleased though.

VB

1 Like