Today I have mainly been

Dice, dice are your friend. Then use the Investment Thesaurus to stick in the usual wank word cost benefit analysis bollocks and jobs a goodun. all done by lunchtime and off to the pub with you.

This - doesnā€™t matter which you choose, theyā€™ll fuck it up and blame you anyway.

Have a nice day :+1:

1 Like

Not this time. This one is an enormous black geezer who dresses in black.

Donā€™t be. There are more mental health issues here than religious zealotry.

All Saints are aware according to the BTP.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/26731122_997811263702966_8962060716582524515_n.jpg?oh=1dec6a1a74b2edc5291c8fb0db72ed0e&oe=5AEF4752

2 Likes

I wish. When I review programmes I review them thoroughly - each one usually takes me a good 3-4 hours, sometimes longer depending on the complexity. These are detailed programmesā€¦

Well, then. Just been told that the deadline has always been next week. Fuck knows why they wanted it done by tomorrow. Cunts.

Trying to understand whether it could, even in theory, be possible to build a pre-amp gain stage based on an EF86 which will deliver 125mV into a 50kohm load with 0.01% distortion, given that the valveā€™s anode current is only 250uA or so and thereā€™s less than 20db of negative feedback. Harold Leak said his Varislope 2 Stereo pre-amp would do this. Iā€™ve got one here and it doesnā€™t seem to (more like 0.1% distortion, albeit all 2nd harmonic).

VB

Spot on Graeme. :nerd_face:

Throwing up. :face_vomiting: I have some new medication to cope with and the side effects are truly awful.

1 Like

Sounds horrible, hope the medication does the job.

Eugh, sorry to hear that mate! Going to stop complaining about the flu and this fucking sore throat (have I mentioned I have a sore throat?) itā€™s fucking sore, nowā€¦

Still trying to shake off (not the most appropriate phrase in this context) this bout of vertigo. Had it for 2 weeks now.

Seeing the GP again tomorrow, but not hopeful he can help to be honest.

Thankfully, my bouts of the wobblies have never gone on that long. You have my sympathies and hope the world returns to normality soon

Could be labrynthitis? I get it sometimes.

How is Lou?

Currently at an all day team meeting in the Hammersmith Novotel. :roll_eyes:

Enjoying the joys of role playingā€¦:thinking:

Have you got the santa suit back out the loft

4 Likes

Thanks. It is the medication that is the issue. Now need to go back this afternoon to see the quacks about this for the fourth time in two weeks. :persevere:

Santa in a cape. Donā€™t forget the cape.

My eyes!!! Argh!!!

1 Like

Sheā€™s just the same, Mark. She is also at GPā€™s tomorrow and has an appointment at the end of the month with the cardiothoracic consultant. Weā€™ll know more after that. Hopefully!

8 Likes

Dammit.

Dammit, dammit, dammit.

I was suspicious about Leakā€™s claim of 0.01% THD for the Varislope 2 pre. I was measuring 0.14% 2nd harmonic on the R channel at full output, which is comparable with the EF86 based Mullard 2-valve and 3-valve pres although, admittedly, Leak uses some local feedback where Mullard didnā€™t. Anyway I could have accepted this performance and moved on, except that the L channel was better. Last night I thought I measured 0.035%. This morning the best I could get was 0.08%. Maybe I misread the analyser last night ? Whatever - the L channel was better so the R one could be too.

After a good deal of trying to make the R channel better Iā€™ve just re-measured the L one. My workbench is crowded so the pre is sitting close up against the Stereo20 which is powering it. In fact itā€™s close to the Stereo20ā€™s L channel output transformer. By chance I noticed that when I moved the pre I could affect the L channel distortion level a lot. In fact in some positions I could cancel it completely. Turns out that at full power some signal can leak out of the power amp and into the pre. The effect is only really significant in the L channel because proximity matters. The signal leakage has 2nd harmonic distortion of the opposite sign to that caused by the pre, so it can cancel. When I move the pre away from the power amp the L channel has exactly the same 0.14% distortion as the R channel. Everything is consistent. Thereā€™s nothing to see here. Move along please :confounded:.

VB

14 Likes

If it doesnā€™t involve D20s then they are doing it wrong!

2 Likes