Today I have mainly been

5 Likes

Currently sitting in the dentists reception awaiting a deep clean. Sounds messy. New dentist so not sure if she has a sadistic streak. :smiling_imp:
Fingers crossed.

Re-learning (the hard way) a lesson I was taught some 30 years ago, namely; not to get involved in things that don’t concern you.

Service to boiler in basement and I happened to notice at high level a circulating pump on a 22mm unsupported pipe. Looks like it has been weeping for years but dry now. The weight of the pump means it sags. No-one likes unsupported ugly pipework. I’ll sort that says I in ten mins flat, couple of munson rings and some threaded rod and hey presto a pair of standoff brackets. No charge I say as I have all the material in van and is only a couple of quid. Customer overjoyed.

Ten mins later, the slightest movement of the pipe has resulted in the pump unions pissing water.

Pump valves are seized. Drain down or bung required to replace valves. Won’t bung as valves are both passing. Unions to pump seized on with some gun-gum or similar resin.

Cut pipe live and whack on a push fit valve to try and drain. Eventually get it drained enough for new valves but the pump faces are corroded to fuck and will never seal. New pump.

Fill, bleed check for leaks all ok. Apart from airlock and the only way to clear this on this cunt of a system is to remove the thermostat from its dry pocket and boil the fuck out of the system.

This started and half eight and only just finished at gone two o’clock.

Ying to yesterdays Yang. Should have left well alone.

4 Likes

The moral of the story - don’t fuck with Sods Law :thumbsdown:

Yep. I once tried to explain Sods Law to a particularily stupid youth years ago. My elaborate experiment failed and that in itself was proof of Sods Law. He didnt understand.

If something can go wrong, it will go wrong… that might be Murphys Law tho. :(a

5 Likes

This is the point at which the philosophers among us return to the question “Is there a God ?”. Followed very quickly by “And if there is, what on earth can I have done to have pissed her off so badly ?”.

If it’s any consolation disturbing solder joints in vintage valve preamps can be just like this. Component failure can spread outwards from the first point of contact like the Black Death.

VB

What, they can piss water out!!?! :thinking:

3 Likes

I have seen oil start to weep from ancient PIO caps. But mostly it’s resistors whose leads snap or bodies crack or end caps come adrift. Sometimes the terminal just snaps off. Real PITA.

VB

Swimming in the sea behind my house. Glorious!

Ive heard there are some speakers that can be used as a cigarette lighter

3 Likes

NVA amplification involved??

:smirk:

Sweating conkers.

Causing my first production incident (with this client, anyway).

Bringing the system down from the inside, one bug at a time :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Jus’ chillin’ in Tropea.

Been a while since we had an honest to goodness old-skool Roundhouse gag. :slight_smile:

Finding Exchange 2016 bugs most of the day, I have to say there are quite a few. Still running like a dog and randomly doing things to ‘recover’ which involves fucking things up. Don’t you just love Microshite.

Before I take the plunge in to the weird world of Vindows 10 should I be going the whole bag of hell and buying CrApple?

Depends. If you are a fan of colouring-in books and generally being treated like a child, dive right in.

1 Like

Waiting for Kraftwerk

6 Likes

I’ve completed three coding tests today. Not sure what they expect to glean from them but they’re hoops everyone has to jump through.