Tools you have bought/desire

Get them out for the lads and some pics when you get a chance? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We used to have loads of sets at work. Once they failed third party calibration (they lasted a very long time) we just binned them. Should have kept a set, no use for them now but they are just nice things.

1 Like

Loved the way you could ‘ring’ them together. Think I’m remembering that correctly, though the way dementia is insidiously creeping up …

We always referred to them as ‘slip gauges’

1 Like

Same here.

Same as these;

4 Likes

Nice to see an imperial set.

The highest grade sets are eyewateringly expensive.

1 Like

The fact that they are so precisely ground that the molecules or atoms hold them is incredible.

I wish my work involved such tolerances instead of just to the nearest inch. :slight_smile:

Didn’t know they did ceramic ones;

https://www.cutwel.co.uk/measuring-tools/small-tool-instruments/slip-pin-and-plain-plug-gauges/slip-gauge-blocks/47-piece-ceramic-slip-gauge-set-grade-0-insize-4105-47-series?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=purenet_feed&VariantId=4105-47&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwp_UBRD7ARIsAMie3XYtP3yOeUhtIvPZ0GCZK44OaEYAHlw2rLMf5EG0-g8688Y_r-k6BWIaAiHDEALw_wcB

1 Like

Foo.:slight_smile:

Metal for me.

1 Like

They’re not just ground, they’re lapped to achieve the highest tolerances. Proper engineering :+1:

Get yourself a little lathe for the kitchen;

3 Likes

Like using Engineers Blue to check that you had filed edges perfectly flat. Halcyon days, long gone.

2 Likes

Sadly, yes.

Our sister company had a contract to produce some parts for an aerospace co. and the flatness tolerances were just not possible on their very expensive cnc machines. They took them to an old bloke working out of a lock-up who hand scraped them. Needless to say, they passed inspection…

3 Likes

I could have been that old bloke. Some of the fits you could achieve with watered Blue and needle files (Vallorbe ?) you wouldn’t believe.

35 posts were split to a new topic: Career Choices

Want.

1 Like

Pah ! This is what you want…

2 Likes

Yes quite fancy a Grainfather, or similar. Might just give BIAB a go first before splashing out.

I’ve been brewing BIAB for a few years now. It’s a very effective way to brew. Well worth a try :+1: