Uber fucked, super mayor

Transport for London (TfL) is controlled by a board whose members are appointed by [have a quess] the Mayor of London.

Then the Met should have prosecuted uber. Why didn’t they?

Why are uber drivers getting the shit for this?

Uber lick dead dogs dirty diçks

So you’re suggesting they’re not honest?

The black cab lobby have been trying to stuff the competition (uber) for years and it appears the mayor is now bending his ear in their direction.

My own experience is this: Get a black cab if you want to stare furiously at the meter while nodding-along to shit about Farage or Brexit or Fulham/Spurs FC.

Hail an uber via the app and enjoy the silence. Get to where you want to go. Don’t get pokered on the meter. Notwithstanding the seriousness of what has been levelled against uber.

Ban seems extreme and to have no proper foundation, unfair on drivers and surely last, not first resort? Were bad banks banned? Or water companies that polluted rivers etc.? Uber has just appointed a reputable new CEO and governance reforms are in train. TFL licenses drivers, not Uber. Where is the evidence of widespread serious criminal incidents? And if this company is so bad why has New York or other similar sized Cities not banned them?

Suspect other motives at play here - luddism might be part of the answer of course.

Uber not perfect and needs to sort culture and leadership, but the black cabs’ historic monopolistic practices, high prices and anti-tech stance has been a disgrace as anyone in London knows.

I like others have been v happy for my daughter to go off in an Uber; in my experience in London all are exceptionally courteous, service-oriented, (typically Muslim) men who take pride in driving for Uber (I always ask them) …a huge contrast to the many rude and sometimes overtly racist black cab drivers (not generalising of course, there are perfectly pleasant black cab drivers too).

1 Like

We are living in the aftermath of the failure of financial regulators to regulate, yet from the outside this just

looks like bitching about a regulator trying to get a conglomerate to step up to the required standards.

It may appear from the outside this is just a regulator slapping the wrists of a naughty player but there’s much more to it than this. It’s political and listening to the conciliatory tones now coming from uber and the mayor I think both sides have realised starting a war wouldn’t be good for either.

Hugo Rifkind in the Times today argues this represents part of a bigger battle to bring powerful tech companies under the rule of law, interesting point but it still seems that taking Uber’s license away is extreme, plus I would still need convincing that these companies are a collective malevolent force - maybe it is just politicians fearing something they do not understand. It’s happened before.

I surprised none of you do-gooders have mentioned the environmental aspect - most mini cabbers use oldish diesels but nearly all Uber drivers turn up in a Prius. I won’t even mention black cabs! :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Taxis are just fine in Dalton, if London needs a hand managing taxis I’m sure our local regulators will be happy to help.

1 Like

I never used Uber, for the same reasons that I don’t use Amazon (much) or Sports Direct (at all). Their business models seem to involve abusing (for want of a better phrase) their workforce and/or exploiting loopholes in the tax system. Banning Uber does seem like a massive overreaction and Uber’s really well-orchestrated PR campaign coupled with the threat of litigation will likely mean the ban is never implemented.
However, all of these business models are unlikely to be viable in the long-term if the exploitation/abuse is allowed to continue. The current state of play for the Black Cabs is similarly not viable as they are likely to be squeezed out unless they up their game as an industry.

1 Like

I suspect the ban was the final warning to get them to toe the line.
After a bit of bluster an agreement will be made and it will carry on.
All a bit of non news imo.

A useful, relevant take on a post, on subject, with no meh ?

What have you done with the real bmtell, you impostor, you ?

3 Likes

Uber pay £19K a year, or just about survival money in London.

No holiday pay, sick leave, or superannuation. Also below the minimum if the evidence presented in the court case they lost can be mapped across their workforce, oops sorry, their independent contractors.

4 Likes

This is worth a read. Seems pretty comprehensive

Interesting analysis…

So, the bottom line is that Uber are more efficient, more courteous, quicker, safer, cheaper, cleaner, etc, etc…

…but they get exploited by not being paid enough…just like nurses, careworkers, cleaners, deliveroos, and many, many others on zero hours contracts.

but none of those have been banned…:thinking:

2 Likes

not in our experience, they are rude, can’t understand the satnav, and make improper suggestions to ones wife…