Wanted 5687 valve

I’m sure adapters could be made…

Plenty of adapters on ebay which go the other way…

I’ve put some reflector 6h30p-dr tubes in the modwright pre, the improvement over the new sovtek or EH gold pin is huge.

Tube rolling: a sure fire way of feeding your audiophool insecurities.:smile:

Silence, imbecile!

2 Likes

Or just finding the right tube and living with it for years.
I had my last pre-amp for 8 years and never changed a tube.
I intend to try 2 or 3 and pick one, I don’t feel insecure or phoolish, more that I have finally got an opportunity to own a pre-amp I have always wanted and want to maximise my enjoyment of it. Far from feeling insecure this is the first time I have felt excited about hifi in a long time and the first major change to my system in years.

2 Likes

I’ve participated in tube rolling in the past. I could only reliably detect changes in circuits that used no negative feedback, i.e. the valve was run at full gain.

One person’s subjective experience … yep, good enough for me.

Lock the thread please mods, we can all go home :+1:

Your livelihood depends on it.:+1:

Ah, maybe I should just compare data sheets.

It would have to be a blind test…

Because I’m blessed with legendary patience and compassion, I’ll explain it for you: no-one demos hifi any more. They go on websites and look at pictures. When they find a pretty box they seek out only those opinions that confirm what they want to hear. Then they find the cheapest possible example of the pretty box, even if it means buying it out of the back of a white Transit van in a motorway service area with used notes. Then they go on hifi forums and moan about all of their negative experiences :+1:

All of this misery and disappointment makes me very, very happy and explains how I can be as obnoxious as I like to spindle-dicked tossers and still laugh all the way to the bank while drinking cocktails made from punters’ tears mixed with Louis Roederer :+1:

watch_the_world_burn457

3 Likes

“It’s all just entertainment”- Nelson Pass some time ago.:smile:

Is that one of those globes made of matches? Do you sell them?

4 Likes

I’m trying to, but shipping them in from China as part of my sandpaper-importing business has run into, some - ahem - issues

And I honestly had no idea that those slave lab… er illegal immigrants were in the shipping container…

Still, no such thing as a disaster in Business - the new Barbecued Meat range is taking-off nicely :+1:

Couple of replacements arrived for my pre.

Tung-sol 5687 and GEC cv4005.

2 Likes

The GEC certainly looks pleasingly minty - fingers crossed (I still :poop: it puting new valves in anything…):+1:

Cool,
Let me know what you think.

LOL, I tried both the 5687s I just got and they’re both horrifically microphonic and chug out a lod of LF noise, so they’ll be going back.

2 Likes

The joys of valve swapping :confused: