Wanted: Cheap PC

It’s not hard - you just download it to a pen drive or CD and install from that. For your uses, Linux should be fine, and it runs well on old hardware.

Let’s give it a blast then. Any distro you recommend, for simplicity ?

I’d probably go for Linux Mint, which is Ubuntu based and meant to be good for slower machines

Cheers Adam. I’ll give it a go when a bit more sobre :slightly_smiling_face:

I have a couple of old hp wx6400 workstations, u can have one of them foc if u still need something.

Darren (belliore) is well connected regarding PC’s, might be worth giving him a shout, he may have one, I had a Lenovo laptop from him and it’s great :thumbsup:

I have the internals (mobo, 4GB DDR2, core Duo E-6800, cooler) if you want it. Old, but still works. Perfect for a Linux distro.

Sounds like that could be an ideal solution Simon, thanks a heap for that.

Where are you based ?

So for those of us not looking to lash something together from bits out of Adam & Pete’s spares bins.
Are these Intel based NUC machines any good? I’m looking at i5 or i7 with maybe 8GB of RAM & perhaps 0.5 TB SS storage. Budget £250-350. Any suggestions otherwise?

1 Like

I am near Stockport, south Manchester

A NUC will be fine for most purposes. You pay a bit for the smart case, and you won’t have room for a monster graphics card so they won’t be great for running the latest games at top resolution. But as a general purpose PC there shouldn’t be a problem.

1 Like

Ah, OK, that will be a problem, unless you are happy to post (at my cost obviously).

If not, no worries at all, thanks for the kind offer.

Yeah, they are really nice.

1 Like

I’m not a gamer so that isn’t really an issue.

where are you based?

The Mecca that is known as Luton (J10, M1)

not somewhere I am likely to visit in the near future, closest is Nottingham in a about 10 days time

Can’t say I blame you :slight_smile: No worries, thanks again for your offer Simon :thumbsup:

happy to ship one if you want, I am sure I have some suitable boxes etc

That’d be great ! Thanks.

I’ll pm my details; just let me know what I owe.