What alcoholic drink are you drinking right now?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/714UOQVIEyL.SY445.jpg

Now at the arse end if this and listening to Isaac Hayes. The dogs are safe!

3 Likes

Going down (too) nicely

1 Like
1 Like

I was drinking 57% Plymouth gin last night. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I have no photo of it…

3 Likes

that’ll be the Navy Strength version then… makes a brilliant dry Martini, just don’t have more than three of them in a single session…

3 Likes

Late start to starting lunch due to work needing doing in the brewhouse. It will be a little while so a Dark & Stormy is required :thumbsup:

With lunch and beyond is this…

Definitive Chenin flavours if a little generic. Very pleasant and a good match with fried stuff. But it lacks any character.
Chenin Blanc by numbers.

I honestly don’t get how people drink wine for pleasure. I don’t mind sweet wine but anyone that’s serious about wine seem to look down their noses at sweet.

It depends on where the sweetness is derived from. Fruit (grape) sweetness is AOK with me. So long as it’s fully ripened fruit and no adjuncts are added to the fermented must.
Botrytis affected grapes create veeeery sweet wines. These are often excellent.

But the trick is, apart from bad or spoiled wine, there is no wrong wine. It’s matching to circumstances that is the most important thing. I try to find dry wine with loads of fruitiness to match with spicy food.
Flinty dry to match with BBQ or roasts.
Super sweet witha desert.
You get the idea.

If I’m drinking wine for the sake of it, I look for powerful flavours. These can have fruit sweetness or loads of oak. It depends on my mood.

I would never criticise anybody’s taste in wine in the same way I wouldn’t criticise anybody’s taste in music (ish).

Like music, there is a wine for every occasion.

I think the best I have tried stated this on the bottle.

There are some very special wines created by Botrytis affected grapes. It’s a mould which destroys the grape skin causing the grapes to shrivel on the vine. This creates very small quantities of concentrated, sweet juice. It can be introduces in a controlled environment or allowed to occur naturally (with the risk of infecting neighbouring vineyards). This can produce extremely elegant and expensive wines.

Sauternes and Barsacs aren’t called Noble wines for no reason.

1 Like

Starting off with this tonight

Stunning. Just stunning.

Is that a club wine or did sir purchase it in a physical emporium?

I joined Laithwaites before Xmas and cherry picked their offerings. This is exceptionally good.

I’ve taken some random mixed cases. It has opened these rather myopic eyes to some interesting wines.

1 Like

This is the one I had (yes it’s supermarket):
http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/mini-bottles/sainsburys-sauternes--taste-the-difference-375cl

I think M&S have that in from time to time. It is rather good, but expensive-ish unless they have it on an offer.

No issue with supermarket supplies. As I said, if you like it then all is good with the world.

1 Like