What alcoholic drink are you drinking right now?

I really liked the Schweppes hibiscus tonic I had in Antwerp

http://schweppespremiummixer.be/product/5

but it looks like it might be Belgium-only at the moment, or at least not in the UK.

sounds interesting. I like the idea of the flavoured tonics, but they are far too sweet for me.

It’s quite a strong flavour. If you mix it with gin you get an alcoholic hibiscus drink rather than a gin and tonic.

I liked it all the same.

Sorry for the delay, Crimson, but here’s the link to the wine syringe thingy…

https://www.coravin.co.uk/coravin-model-two-wine-system

2 Likes

Cheers.

These are brilliant, lots of decent restaurants are now able to offer their fine wines by the glass or for their “premium” wine flights. I have some sommelier friends who use them in their restaurants to allow them to sell their fine wine by the glass, who tell me the needles are quite fragile and are prone to breaking with a lot of use. They have also said that rarely a needle will get blocked, which means it needs to be replaced with a new one.

Personally I wonder about its use at home, unless one has a cellar stocked with fine wine that one wants to drink over an extended period of time. One Argon capsule claims to cover 15 glasses, but my sommelier friends tell me this is closer to 12 most of the time.

Sometimes we have a treat, a fine bottle - and we drink it over a period of say 3 days, a standard VacuVin which pumps out the air will minimise oxidation (won’t prevent it) for the period the bottle is unsealed.

1 Like

Agreed on the domestic front. But as my mate has a 141 bottle Eurocave in his flat then I can understand why he wanted one.

And when you’re wondering what to do when you’ve had a few sherbets …

I used to have a similar sized Eurocave, and whilst I had bottles ranging from £10 to several 100’s in retail price, along with cases in store with Berry Bros. & Rudd, I am still not convinced that was a sufficiently decent or large enough stash nor was our drinking pattern such that we would have used a Coravin.

Anyway that is all academic as my interest in wine waned, and I sold the lot…

But yes I can see good reason why some may have a good use for a Coravin at home if their collection were sufficiently valuable or their drinking pattern suited its use…

It is a cracking invention, I have tasted many things I wouldn’t have been able to taste because of it.

A little bit special this. Robust enough to cut through a good chunk of roast beef. Fruity enough to pair with venison. Soft enough for turkey/roast chicken. Good all rounder.

1 Like

Alcoholic enough to drink :slight_smile:

lovely fruit and depth to accompany a proper homemade meat ragu with tagliatelle

1 Like

Heavy duty

2 Likes

Laithwaites delivery.

forgot we had this… lovely stuff
http://www.drinkmonger.com/images/_lib/somerset-cider-brandy-20-year-old-42-50cl-6002094-0-1425489746000.jpg

3 Likes

Yes it is rather nice Simon, the bottle you bought to the bbq for us has been well appreciated :heart_eyes:

This went down well with the seafood we had this evening - deceptively strong too at 13.5%

1 Like

Limestone Coast Chardonnay from Aldi. Lovely.

Bugger ! I obviously left too early :worried:

Too much beer/ port/ jagermeister :confounded: