[Archive] What are you listening to?

Time for a change,

Onuka - Vidlik EP, smoke splatter vinyl Ltd edition of 277.

Downloaded this into Spotify, but only just got around to listening to it.

This is really really good.

A stripped back 80’s synth style Album with great vocals. Think JMJ’s Equinox meets Kraftwerk meets early Numan, all with the early Soft Cell darkness.

LP on Polytechnic Youth.

1 Like

Was:

Ovoc

Now:

CDR2F

3 Likes

What is the 2nd one?

Pulse by Pink Floyd. It is a bit crap in places…

1 Like

Thanks. Yes it will be :wink:

Astounding as it may seem for Olan, that is Pink Floyd - Pulse.

Cracking sleeve art, I have to admit.

Edit, ah, beaten to it.

Yes thats what got my attention. Not a fan though.

LP

2 Likes

I like a bit of Floyd every now and then. Mostly the less proggy and more psychedelic material before all that really shitty stuff they released after the mid-1970s.

1 Like

CDR2F.

1 Like

LP

1 Like

I love a bit of Kriegel. Spectrum is excellent and his work with Dave Pike Set is superb.

LP

2 Likes

Ovoc

This awaits

Ovoc

2 Likes

CDR2F.

Ooh, coud be interested in that. Does it sound as seedy as it should?

It’s one of the most 'straight ahead" Cecil Taylor albums, so fairly accessible, but still quirky enough to be interesting. It kicks off with three reworkings of Cole Porter classics in a trio setting (Get out of town, I love Paris & Love for sale…with the last being an obvious cue for the cover art) the latter tracks are Taylor fronting a quintet & are all self penned originals.

It’s not a bad start for Cecil Taylor…Jazz Advance is also a classic & fair bit more adventurous/ground-breaking in its day

If Thelonious Monk already floats yer boat, you will likely find yerself fairly receptive to it.

If you want to investigate the ‘stripper jazz’ theme further try these. >>

"Satan in High Heels"is a bit of a lesser known classic.

1 Like

LP

3 Likes