What I'm watching (Part 1)

Lol, presumably you lot like Gravity.

Interstellar was very good, you fucking philistines.

2 Likes

No gravity was even worse.

The worst. Just fucking awful.

I thought Interstellar was good. Watched it on D-Box, which is a gimmick I like! It was great.

Thereā€™s always plenty of hype and buzz around new Sci_Fi films and even if you try to avoid it some will always sneak through. Which results in disappointment when the film turns out to be not very good. The come down on Gravity was monumental, Ex Machina and The Martian not far behind (recent examples).

I remember Interstellar being hyped-silly as the first post-Kubrick masterpiece of the new century, it wasnā€™t, but revisiting the film again without all the superlatives bouncing around my head Iā€™m finding it a much better film. Second part tonight because Iā€™m a lightweight.

The ending of interstellar was rubbish and made absolutely no sense.

I like the Martian a lot. Almost 2 films for the price of 1, with the second part like Apollo 13 on steroids.

1 Like

Robinson Crusoe on Mars and Apollo 13 was much better from start to finish. Iā€™m working on the basis Arrival isnā€™t going to be up to much either despite the fizz surrounding it.

When I watched Star Wars episode 734 there was a trailer for Passengers which looked very good

Not sure if it is just a lighter version of Pandorum though (which was excellent)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1355644/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Daughter went to see that and said it was just awful, barely thought through sequence of linear events played out against a green screen.

1 Like

It looked like they were hawking it really hard. Wall to wall trailers, as if a bit desperate.

I just endured 8 episodes of the Beebā€™s latest Scandi Noir import Modus. While it had all of the usual tropes of the genre; sweeping aerial shots of cities at night, darkness generally, nice interiors, homes without curtains etc Unfortunately it also had a preposterous plot hanging on some highly unlikely co-incidences and a ridiculous villain. Still itā€™s encouraging to see that not everything they turn out has the quality of The Killing, The Bridge or Borgen. Just as British broadcasters do, they can turn out some rubbish too.

Why did I persist? In 20 minute chunks it was a distracting accompaniment to the morning session on the rowing machine.Need to find something else I can watch with subtitles now. (The rower makes a fair amount of noise)

1 Like

Just watched Italyā€™s hidden cities on BBC. Vienna this week. An excellent program. The 3D scanning work is stunning. Well worth a look.

Wow ! Is there a Vienna hidden in Italy ?

VB

2 Likes

typo I meanā€™t ā€˜invisibleā€™. Which it isnā€™t.

Did you also mean Venice ?

VB

FFS yes Venice I must have been waching Austrias invisible cities :grinning:

I need sleep.

This means nothing to meeeeeeee

7 Likes

The new series of Homeland.

So far Claire Danes continues to adopt the expression of a woman suffering from critical levels of perma stink just south of her nostrils. Her doe eyed infatuated black ops murder artist / ex lover (Peter Quinn) has seemingly roused from his toxic nerve gas bummer of last series and reacted to becoming a cripple by visiting budget hookers and smoking meth with his CIA pension money - Go Peter!
I have written some plot pointers to the producers in the hope they might recall they are supposedly in the entertainment business.

2 Likes

I just started with the Last Kingdom which appears to be about Vikings invading Northern England. It seems ok for a swords & sandals drama but may lack the gore/violence that HBO wouldā€™ve given it. Almost made to have some appeal to a younger audience. Did anyone watch it & is it worth persisting with while rowing in my longboat?

1 Like