What I'm watching (Part 1)

Set in France / Spain and Morocco this series takes it’s cues from: The Wire (in so much as it probes the differing cultural, political and moral aspects of the ‘trade’) and ‘La Haine’ with it’s focus on Parisian ghetto yoot. I suppose a simile could be drawn with the UK’s Top Boy also.
In terms of antagonists I’ve found the silver screen lacking in recent years crammed with insipid ‘bad guys’ that simply don’t fit the bill. What I mean to say is if I am having to suspend disbelief to the point where the plot is strained then what I’m watching has been badly cast…Leonardo DeCaprio as a tough guy anyone? I digress, ‘Cannabis’ does not suffer any such flaws. The characters are genuine and the plot line truly enthralling. Watching a subtitled series tends to make me concentrate more and watching the plot and characters develop in this story is highly addictive. It’s also pleasant to watch something where I am not familiar with any of the actors. It is a rare treat to see such talent! 8.5 / 10

As an aside. Mr. MWS insists it should be noted that most of the Spanish scenes revolve around a brothel.

2 Likes

Just finished fortitude series two

Maybe just me, but I thought it descended into a shambolic mess.
Too many scenes for scenes sake (some quite repulsive), and too little coherent resolution of plot lines.

Started well, mind! It was a bit like they didn’t know what to do with everyone at the end. Or, perhaps, it was a cynical series three pitch.

2 Likes

Completely agree. First half was very promising, then it went downhill.

Many of the story arcs weren’t resolved and, as you say, ended up being rather pointless - just padding.

Another great episode of ‘No Offence’ last night.

Bollocks…not reading this as only have 3 episodes left.

BBC 4, TOTP from 1983. Toto and Level 42. Hmm. At least they had Wah! on last week.

It’s always 1983. Sir Jimmy must’ve been elsewhere that year.

2 Likes

Exactly this. Tres Disapointing

Glad it wasn’t just me.

All went a bit random and silly.

It was 1982 last year. Will be 1984 next year.

My daughter thinks everones hair and clothes are tragic, apart from the singer from the Belle Stars,who looked fairly cool.

Just finished second series of Mr Robot. Absolutely loved it.

Dark, well acted and a superb soundtrack.

This is a particular favourite…

Imperium - Daniel Radcliffe as an FBI infiltrator to a white supremacist movement.

Apropos of the current cluster fuckery…

Brooklyn Nine Nine. Andre Braugher is pure genius. I would go as far as to say it’s the spiritual successor of Police Squad.

Rachel Weisz ruined this film, did the casting director not see her utterly shite american accent in constantine.

Timothy Spall was brilliant though.

Fixt

True, I was just trying to think of a film she wasn’t shite in

I’ve been enjoying the second series of the filthy but very funny Chewing Gum. I think all episodes are on 4OD so you can catch up. Another, like Fleabag, with a female writer who’s also the lead. Probably more joyous than Fleabag but as good in its own way.

Wheeler Dealers.

They’re doing a 1945 Willys MB. A few years ago I had a half share in a 1943 Ford GPW, and it was absolutely the most fun car I’ve ever had, if I could get the cash together for such a toy, I’d have one again in a heartbeat.

Absolutely bonkers but great sfx and music

The Terry Pratchett thing is about to start