What I'm watching (Part 1)

It’s very addictive.

I can see some marathon sessions once I start.

Alan Lomax’s "An Appalachian Journey"

Thanks,

That somehow led me to an amazing archive of old sound recordings. Here’s the bluegrass page!
http://research.culturalequity.org/get-audio-ix.do?ix=recording&id=1744&idType=genreId&sortBy=abc

Try Foggy Mountain Chimes!

1 Like

Alan Lomax, was insatiable in his passion for the preservation and dissemination of music. His field recordings on Folkways records preserved thousands of rich songs from a time long evaporated. His prison recordings of chain gangs / murderers row make me feel as close to being haunted as I’ve ever come. There is a presence and reality which is otherworldly. His work with black music can be seen as promotion for the blues which found it’s way to eager white ears hungry for something authentically different and taboo. He really did have an adventure with music.

Carolina blues documentary

Shit just got real…

The show has finally opened the door to the realities, and the secrets are going to start making sense…

So much of the dialogue is heavy with hidden meaning, and it seems much of the music is tied to certain scenes.

Without spoiling it for those that haven’t seen it, I’ve got a big hunch who the robot being made at the end is going to be!

The first model hit the wall?

Use spoiler tags or you’ll just ruin it for those who haven’t watched it yet.

Well, last nights episode was a bit better, but I’ve still not changed my opinion of yet…

I’ll settle down for the ride for the near future…

What spoilers?

Nothing I posted would spoil anything. It’s vague enough to be of no use to anyone who hadn’t seen the episode already.

I thought it was shite yet again.

1 Like

I quite enjoyed Zadie Smith’s NW on the iPlayer tonight.
Pretty dark subject material but a welcome change from the relentless diet of period drama we’ve been getting from the BBC of late.

Just finished S1 of The Expanse on Netflix, I was a bit dubious at first partly because of some dodgy science and the pretty boy lead character, but I ended up being sucked in by the storyline and really enjoyed it. S2 begins in Feb 2017 I believe.

Also watched Ex Machina on bluray this morning , courtesy of unclepunckle. I really enjoyed this too, nicely paced and thought provoking with regards to how AI could develop under the stewardship of a dysfunctional genius. Much more than “Google man makes fuck puppets”!

I quite fancy that Expanse. Just been watching Black Mirror. Didn’t really like the first episode but thought it was good after that. Somehow I missed out the second season and I’m already two episodes into the third (the last one was great).

You’re over thinking it!

1 Like

Possibly. I’d like to see a sequel, to see if how it pans out, I have some questions buzzing around my head likef

How will Ava recharge without the inductive floor? I suppose she must have a charging port, but she got on the helicopter with no luggage, so unless she has a built in charging cord…
What will an intelligent android lacking Asimovs 3 Laws get up to in the outside world? she’s already a killer, possibly twice over, so will she just slot anyone who gets in her way?
Will Caleb escape or starve to death?

Fuzzed out for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet.

I finished S1 the other day as well. Having read the novels (well 1-3) my first thought on the Jim Holden character was, ‘nah, too young’ but he grew on me and actually he played it just like the books. Miller’s char is lifted straight from the pages :slight_smile:

Was thinking I’d have to get the books. I do have trouble maintaining my enthusiasm through a big series of books though, ever since I over-gorged on Rebus a few years ago.

Currently in the pub, whiling away an hour or so whilst Ellie is at horse riding, watching Australia destroy NZ at Anfield. It’s a Rugby League masterclass.

Watching the Blacklist, started watching the first series but couldn’t get into it, second try and it’s quite good.