What I'm watching (Part 1)

The mind gardens graduation ball.

2 Likes

Ignoring Rachel Weissā€™s really bad yank accent.

Golf

1 Like

Preacher s2

1 Like

Good wasnā€™t it?

Thought it was a bit poor,til the 13th

I donā€™t really like Speith, but he won me over, especially after his speech.

The Joy of Stats on BBC4. Excellent program - well worth watching on iPlayer.

Dunkirk. Generally spectacular & with decent acting performances although curiously not quite satisfying although Iā€™m struggling to think why. Itā€™s all a bit clinical somehow. Seeing it is a very intense experience but unlike some other war films it isnā€™t quite the emotional journey weā€™ve come to (wrongly perhaps) expect from such films.

Iā€™m working my way through Misfits. Proper!
How did I miss it first time round?

1 Like

Interesting, I havenā€™t seen it yet, Sam my 10 year old is keen to see itā€¦

Usually there is a central charactor that we ā€˜care aboutā€™ to give us that emotional involvement, I wonder if the three perpective thing waters this down?

Interesting programme about the actual meaning of anarchy & where it has and does occur.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08z007p/storyville-accidental-anarchist-life-without-government

This was very interesting. Looking into the effects of SSRI anti depressants and their connection to acts of violence. Focused on James Holmesā€™ case but also looked at other cases.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08zjyp1/panorama-a-prescription-for-murder

We went to see this yesterday, Nolan films always seem a little sterile to me in a way.

Great film though, kids really enjoyed it.

I especially liked the heavy use of practical effects rather than heavy cgi.

1 Like

Anyone watching In The Dark? Pretty good.

1 Like

Itā€™s something I keep seeing on iplayer, and telling myself I must watch, sounds like itā€™s worth it.

Ah, good to hear, tisā€™ on the list for Sam and I :+1:

I am. Yes its pretty good. I havenā€™t watched this weeks episode yet though.

Yeah Iā€™ve been enjoying it too Mark. Quite gritty drama & good storylines, cast & acting.

I looked up the cast list on IMDB following the first ep, as a couple of lady cast members from Ideal were in it, Emma Fryer & the wonderfully ditzy Sinead Matthews, both v accomplished in their own right.

I hadnā€™t realised at the time, that the shows lead MyAna Burning was actually Swedish, having seen her in so many UK dramas over the years. She graduated from LAMDA in 2004 (she has lived here since the age of 16) & has had regular work in the UK ever since. Many will of course be familiar with her very good showings as Long Susan from Ripper Street & one of the lead parts in the Indie movie Kill List.

Saw it yesterday IMAX, the sound effects are excellent, terrifyingly realistic. Film is overall great - very tense throughout, although I have to agree a little sterile. That might be down to a number of reasons: one, no central character to empathise with other than one potential who, well, just didnā€™t. Second the three story mechanic didnā€™t work that well for me - it was tricky to keep up with and especially so because the infantrymen all looked so bloody similar. Third while the film was gritty it was a 12a so the violence was more aimed at the imagined than blood and guts - whereas the reality would have been a slaughterhouse I expect and this meant that given what was happening everyone looked awfully clean and tidy, even when they were lying dead in the sand. Aside from all that highly recommended and IMAX too, which will probably cause premature deafness.