What I'm watching (Part 1)

I’m not sure that being a bit sterile/clinical is a bad thing, a lot of movies push for an emotional response too much for me. It’s fine when it’s Spielberg, but half the time it just feels too forced and unconvincing.

The land/sea/air viewpoints didn’t seem to add anything but I didn’t mind it.

Was it on D-Box?

no, not available at my local Odeon - with the bass output it felt like the floor was moving though…

1 Like

Haha! I haven’t looked to see if it’s on D-Box anywhere but I always enjoy films in those seats.

Enjoying Season 3 of Killjoys. It’s a bit lightweight, but Hannah John Kamen is rawr.

1 Like

Scott Walker Prom on BBC 4, Featuring, amongst others, John Grant, Jarvis Cocker and Richard Hawley.

Really enjoyable.

1 Like

Reginald D Hunter’s Songs of the South

BBC4

:+1:

4 Likes

Ozark, just started watching, could be amusing or could run out of steam, jury is still out.

Been down to the local flea pit cinema, bloody lovely place, massive screen, huge auditorium, great sound and a bloody great film, Dunkirk.

To top it all the owners show a host of original Pearl and Dean ads, including the Fry’s Turkish Delight one, complete with dusky maiden, ahhh memories.

Rich Hall’s Countrier Than You

BBC4

1 Like

Now, Bob Harris, My Nashville

BBC4

Glow - Netflix. Seemingly from the same team as Orange is the new black. Has it’s moments, the director is rapidly becoming a personal hero (above pic)

I do like Rich Hall - he is a great story teller.

He should be a member here, he says it like it is.

Very, very opinionated, so he should fit like a glove :grin:

3 Likes

That would be a laugh indeed.

I particularly loved You Can Go to Hell, I’m Going to Texas and Inventing the Indian - both brilliantly done.

1 Like

His two-minute annihilation, starting at 44:00 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-0bJ9_VqzE, of Hollywood’s treatment of musicians is perhaps the finest rant I’ve ever heard on TV, culminating with a direct, right-between-the-eyes attack on a good fraction of his audience

If you do not have the innate ability to seek out someone’s music on your own and you have to wait for Hollywood to do it for you then you are some sort of hill-side grazer of culture. You are a sheep, a cow, what is biologically classified as … a ruminant. Fuck you !

Brilliant !

VB

2 Likes

I must make time to watch all of that.

Went to see Dunkirk with young fella m’lad on Sunday, we both really enjoyed it, but both felt the Spitfire glide time was wishful thinking :grin: , though I have no idea how long they really can glide for, i’d imagine not very long with a great lump of merlin up front!

Just looked it up, quite a distance apparently, given enough height, back to base from France to Dover, and with great gliding characteristics.

Ah that’s interesting, I guess given enough height/speed…