What I'm watching (Part 1)

Glide ratio is probably at least 10:1, so should be able to get a fair distance.

1 Like

Spoiler alert

`
And shoot a plane down mid glide, one of Tom Hardyā€™s finer momentsšŸ˜€

1 Like

Yes seeing Bane flying a Spitfire was a surprise and iā€™m pretty sure not historically correctā€¦

Re-watching Archer as canā€™t remember where I was up to.

Orphan Black final season nearly finished and Iā€™ve saved them to watch as and when I want :slight_smile:

Salem, has been going for a while but never bothered watching.

Child 44 on Film 4.

Relentlessly grim so farā€¦

Yes, harrowing but strangely compellingā€¦

Mo Farah winning the 10,000m gold

Legend

3 Likes

quite remarkable

Starting just now,

Reginald D Hunter Songs of the South - BBC4

Worth watching as he traces the history of blues music

:+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

Just watching this for the third time, excellent.

Athletics, sad to see Bolt beaten but yet rise above to congratulate a booed Gatlin, shameful display by the crowd booing like kids at a pantomime. I was there yesterday and it was the same. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I watched Kong: Skull Island and Life last week. Underwhelmed by Kong but impressed by Life.

About to start American Gods.

I picked up a copy of Brief Encounter from a charity shop last week. Iā€™d never previously watched it all. Story line aside whatā€™s interesting about it is the place & time that it depicts. People speaking in language so fast & clipped that itā€™s almost incomprehensible & probably would be utter gobbledegook to youngsters or English speakers from abroadā€¦ England itself seems dark, dirty & rather threatening. Casual sexism abounds. I guess itā€™s the very nirvana that Brexiters are nostalgic for. :worried:

2 Likes

Last man on Earth.

It has been described more than once as the best example of film-making ever (or even as simply the best film ever). My old boss used to be a big fan. He didnā€™t think that any scene could have been done better than it was (I wondered if an abduction by space aliens, in the background probably, might have livened up the scene on the boating lake a bit).

There might be casual sexism in the movie itself but itā€™s still quite rare in that Celia Johnson (female lead) was paid more than 20 times as much as Trevor Howard (male lead).

Come to think, Iā€™ve got another friend who reckons that Trevor Howardā€™s character is not the gentleman he appears to be. Heā€™s actually a predatory sex-pest whoā€™ll be hanging about on the same station the following week trying to chat up another bored housewife.

VB

1 Like

I enjoyed it and it is a very well made film but the morality of it and the slice of 40ā€™s life it portrays are both quite surprising. Nice to see the ā€˜Sound by Western Electricā€™ credit at the end too.

The other film on this DVD double feature is the Ipcress File which I mustā€™ve watched 40+ years ago so Iā€™ll be looking forward to that one next.

I donā€™t think a crowd forgives a drugs cheat, even if the Governing bodies do.

1 Like

Watched the first episode of this last night

It wasnā€™t perfect - there was a bit of stating the obvious (big corporations dispute their taxes), emotional blackmail (confronting us with the widow of someone who killed himself over debt into which he was ā€˜encouragedā€™ by Uber) and simple doom-mongering (if you look hard enough you can find an ex-Facebook staffer whoā€™ll tell you that what he saw at work has turned him into a survivalist). But the underlying premise, that the silicon valley disruptors are forcing change on us without debate or consent simply by acting faster than society can respond, is a legitimate cause for concern. Mind, I did laugh out loud when the problem was pitched as a struggle between techies and politicians, as if the latter could be trusted to save us !

VB

2 Likes

Heā€™s had his punishment for that, singling him out was a display of mob mentality and a kin to playground bullying. If people donā€™t like the current rules they should protest to the people that make and enforce them. If they didnā€™t support him and were not able to celebrate his win then silence is sufficient, booing is nasty.