What I'm watching (Part 1)

I really liked Sunshine, the music added a real spookiness to it.

Iā€™d hardly call Silent Running underrated, either.

eXistenZ is ace.

I always thought Moon and Sunshine were well known as some of the best films in the genre too?

Strange Days is definitely a bit of a (weird) hidden gem.

Equilibrium is on Netflix. Iā€™ll give it a go now, thereā€™s fuck all else on normal telly.

Itā€™s rubbish.

Itā€™s OK in a dystopian Noir sort of way. I canā€™t take Sean Pertwee seriously as a dictator/guru though. Bale is OK doing his Agent Smith-cum-Neo moves.

Was Alright. 3/5. Not worth repeated viewing.

Strugglng with the latest series of The Fall. It all feels very contrived at the moment.

Just watched the first 1.5 hrs of the young pope, went for a cig and when I came back in thought ā€œdo I really want to watch the rest, nopeā€

Itā€™s ok but not particularly engaging.

Itā€™s shit.

Badly acted by one or two and indulgent.

Spoiler:but worst of all, he has one nurse who NEVER HAS A DAY OFF.

More spoliers: And as a bloke who has killed (not a spoiler really!) almost identical women heā€™d never be let near a brunette in reality.

Just blitzed all 8 of the second series of The Missing.

That, my American friends, is how to; write, film and act in a mini series. 2 series, 16 episodes of drama gold. Quite frankly your seven series drawn out piles of piss can all bow their heads in shame in the shadow of this masterpiece.

I rather liked it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So Westworld comes to an end & Iā€™m really not sure whether I liked it. There were aspects that were good particularly bits about being conscious & human (or not) and what that actually means but there was a lot of hackneyed & cliched old twaddle as well. And where or what is left of the outside world is something of a mystery. Not sure about the SciFi & Wild West mix either really.

There was a lot of violence too although as 99% of it supposedly happened to robots itā€™s difficult to feel troubled. That aspect about how AI should or can be treated is an interesting one to explore. The whole thing was a pretty savage indictment of the human race!

Wouldā€™ve enjoyed it more had there been a few more likeable characters too.

Donā€™t worry, when Andrew Lloyd Webber stages the musical itā€™s bound to have those, along with the songs and the one-liners :grin:.

VB

3 Likes

Yes, I agree with your summation of the series, the last episode was, as expected, one that tied most of the loose ends togetherā€¦

The ending was somewhat different to what I expected, and future series were set up, with a look at other potential worlds that might appearā€¦

So, great sets and effects, good acting and cast, storyline 7.5/10ā€¦ :+1:

Found it far too dragged out, and padded couldā€™ve easily been done in half the time, and kept it fast paced and exciting, instead it was just a bit tedious imoā€¦

Oh and how did they unlock the shed?

With a bolt cropper.

It was still lockedā€¦

Anyone else watching the Supreme Court live ? Iā€™m dipping in occasionally when I get the chance.

I overlapped with Dave Pannick (just) at college. Clever bloke. The Law section of the library was alongside the Physics section. So when I was trying to get to grips with the Carnot cycle they might have been chewing their way through the meaning of ā€˜equityā€™ (and using bad language about Lord Denning). The thing was, we tended to work in silence whereas they argued with one another pretty much the whole time. It looks like not much has changed.

VB