What I'm watching (Part 1)

Evil Dead

Rhyming slang??

2 Likes

I watched Marvelā€™s The Punisher last night. The back story is developed well over the first three episodes with the right amount of pace and face breaking. The acting of Jon Berthnal irritates me because of his often incomprehensible whispering and non-stop face twitching. But not enough to make me give up on what could be an excellent show.

:skull:

2 Likes

Really enjoying it. However, contains possibly the shittest car chase ever.

Iā€™ll look out for that.

I think weā€™ll need to be careful with spoilers given Netflix has dropped the complete season. Especially me.

ā€œPeggy Guggenheim : Art Addictā€ on BBC4.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen that before, very good.

1 Like

Godless on Netflix.

Wow.

1 Like

Jeff Daniels does being an evil fucker really, really wellā€¦

Oooh, not heard of that, I shall seek it outā€¦

Although the programme managed to remain fairly interesting & engaging throughout. I must confess some disappointment that once it has become quickly evident, that this wasnā€™t going to be a faithful ā€˜bolts upā€™ replica that my interest level dropped immensely.

Quite a lot of people seem to be getting their knickers in a twist re the local authority/policeā€™s eventual refusal to have the tank play a part in the Remembrance Day Parade. Health & safety ninnies or P.C. mentality gone mad seem typical comments.

Personally I feel on balance the refusal of permission seems quite correct to me for those not missing the point of what Remembrance Sunday is really about. Or perhaps those who feel different should organise an alternative event & line the street with replicas of Phosgene & Mustard Gas munitions & build an altar to an artillery piece ringed by WW1 era heavy machine guns.

3 Likes

My paternal great grandfather served in France during WW1 and later as part of the occupying force in the Rhineland. After war my Nan (his daughter-in-law) said he was a man of simple pleasures and calm nature but never or rarely spoke of his wartime experience. I think he would completely agree with your sentiment. Remembrance Sunday is a day for remembering personal sacrifice not for looking at the machinery of warfare. Thereā€™s museums for that.

5 Likes

Well said Richard. Pretty much the way I remember my own maternal Grandfather, who was an enlisted man (farrier) & served in the army from the mid 1930ā€™s & throughout WW2 & eventually saw out his days at the Royal Hospital as a Chelsea Pensioner.

2 Likes

Otherwise it becomes a willy-waving Nth Korean/Russian style military parade.

1 Like

David Gilmour Live at Pompeii. BBC 2

Not a massive fan of him or Floyd, but what a fucking amazing venue.

2 Likes

Field of Dreams.

Love this film, but donā€™t know why really.

2 Likes

Watched the first two, really good. Thanks for mentioning.

Just watched Despicable Me 3 with my 8-year old. She fell asleep but I made it through to the end. Iā€™m ashamed to admit that I quite enjoyed it.

2 Likes

Mine are too old for kids movies now which is a shame because I enjoyed them too. Thereā€™s a brief window of 7 to 9 years of age where you get to watch these films - Despicable Me was great, Wreck-it Ralph and Kung Fu Panda.

Make the most of it.