What kind of record collector are you?

Pfft ! He doesn’t have any Grey, Red, half tones, bi or tri-colours, swirls, the list just goes on and on.

Hell, he doesn’t even have any of the common ones.

Amateurs ! Give the real thing (ex) a bad name.

New project?

Get 'im lads - burn the witch!

I don’t fit the categories - scattergun of randomness, mixing stuff I know I really like, with random “let’s try this” from the big record barn in town since most of his stuff is not much more £££ than the charity shops.

Norris McWhirter

Used to visit a Car Boot over a decade ago where a milkman used to sell the vinyl he’d scavenged up on his round during the week.
Most Sundays I’d totter back to the car financially bereft after a good haggle but with bags of rare vinyl.
Them were t’days.

1 Like

In an attempt to relive the Summer of Love Hippie Dream, made a pilgrimage to Amoeba Records, Haight Ashbury, San Fransisco.
Now THAT is a feckin record store.

https://www.amoeba.com/our-stores/store-photos/san-francisco/

4 Likes

A few friends were there last year. And not one of them owns a deck!

Feckin Vinyl Scenester Tourists getting under the feet of the genuine addicts who have just scraped together/stolen enough nickels & dimes to ward off the shakes with a vinyl fix.

Exactly. All they bought were t-shirts and mugs. Didn’t even get me a key ring. Cunts

2 Likes

The only upside being… the profit margin on Tacky Tourist Shit is massive compared to that of vinyl

Sam’s time in San Fran coincided with my 50th birthday - flew over on air miles, and while there she pointed me at Amoeba and said “if you can carry it back to the car, it’s yours…” - car was parked about 30 minutes walk away! Wish I worked-out, but my arms are still 6" longer than they were and I got some ACE stuff :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
Marvellous store in a great city.
Sam’s not too bad either… :smile:

2 Likes

Asked our San Fran friend Gina to take me to Haight Ashbury, “err I dont go there” was her reply. So I said would she take me if I was just ONE hour in Amoeba?
OK.
So she drops me off, I set watch & hit the store. So, its vinyl only obvs.
Have a mental wish list & hit the racks. Exactly ONE HOUR later I’m on the street with bags of records and feeling pretty smug.
So, where is my better 1/2 & Gina?
They are about 1/2 mile down the street loaded with shopping.
“We had the best time the shops are sooooo funky i’m bringing all my girlfriends here!”

:sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

Judging the state of some of my records there has been long periods when I have not been a very good collector :man_dancing: :beer:

I used to travel to the US, 3 times a year and made sure I got a weekend in San Francisco, pretty much specifically for record shopping. Amoeba is great but my favourite shop was/Is Groove Merchant at Haight and Pearce (I think).

I feel a trip to Murrica just for record shopping coming on :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Don’t know.

There is also an Amoeba in LA where I have bought loads of Vinyl. Great Blues section.

1 Like

What’s their Ltd. Edition, coloured vinyl section like ?

5 Likes

I don’t know I am not a collector of that. But it is there largest store so it should be adequate.