Yet another thread for the purposes of awarding a cockpunch

OK perhaps I have a different view of how the police should work and everything you disagree with is “bullshit”

Nope. it shouldn’t matter whether you are in the roughest council estate or the garden in Buckingham Palace, the law is the law. You are not required to give your name and address to the police. If policy is applied differently across socio-economic strata or across regions then that is clearly wrong and a breach of the law. Period.

Rich, poor, black, white, we are all in this together…oh fuck we aren’t really which is what the problem is.

4 Likes

I know that area, it’s packed with scum.
He should have given his name, why wouldn’t you.

Personally I think it should be a legal requirement for everyone to carry a national ID card and produce it when requested by the police.

But that isn’t the law, he was not under any legal obligation to give his name and they tasered him for that.

The area has fuck all to do with how the law should be enforced.

1 Like

Two reasons: (i) I might, but I don’t have to and (ii) I’m white and not Rastafarian with dreadlocks so I’m unlikely to be stopped in the street and asked for my credentials.

He looked like a wanted criminal which why they asked his name.

At the end of the day, had a given his name he wouldn’t have been tazered

Nope. I prefer the situation where you are not legally required to identify yourself (unless driving etc). It makes it too easy for future Governments to ‘mark you cards’ or take retribution against those not carrying a card. If you chose not to identify yourself you may have to accompany the PC to the station and face consequences, but that is not akin to being tasered in the chops…

2 Likes

Bearing a resemblance to a criminal or suspect is not a crime. Neither is refusing to identify yourself. Most of all, being black and living in a rough part of town is not a valid reason to be teed off on by the police. If the law changes that is fine, but you are talking massive changes to the law to require ID for the general course of business.

I cant find the stop-and-search statistics but you are X times more likely to be pulled over if you are not white, where X is a fairly large number. It is a fucking disgrace really…

2 Likes

[quote=“htm_1968, post:949, topic:85, full:true”]

It’s a disgrace that the officers involved don’t know who he is and where he lives, let alone tasering him on the threshold of his own property. Utterly disgusting in my view and the sort of shit that proves all of us are somewhat less than free.

2 Likes

I’ll just leave this here so people can imagine a few recipients of this particular maneuver. My nomination for the day is George Osbourne, who after inflicting austerity upon us (and thereby failing principals of Macroeconomics 101) has decided to join Blackrock as an advisor for £Loads after trousering $Loads for a few speeches to the likes of Goldman Sachs. Unprincipled tosser or whore? Either way, have one of these George:

1 Like

Andy, come on. It was a ridiculous overreaction by the police.

3 Likes

It was, but could easily have been avoided.

2 Likes

I never tire of that picture. Made my evening.

1 Like

Old reliable!! I’m amazed it hasn’t been dusted off and wheeled on the pre or post-apocalypse AA to the best of my memory. Might post a gif of a dancing cat and fascist bastard at some stage (or was that a dancing fascist and bastard cat or maybe a…)

Jean Charles de Menezes was also guilty of “looking like” a wanted criminal; he didn’t get asked his name he just got shot in the face 11 times. No action was taken against his murderers.
Police apologists will no doubt have some great reasons why not.

This stupid woman should at the very least lose her job. Tazering a community leader and former Police advisor for no other reason than he knew his rights and that pissed her off. Not the standard the public should expect.

6 Likes

Post-deleted.

Public apology: my post was unacceptable. I’m sorry for the abusive insults.

1 Like

I realise that this is an emotive subject but personal abuse of that nature isn’t acceptable. Cut it out please.

Know Easton well do you?
Gun crime, stabbings, gangs, drugs.

I guess that’s all ok with you

Now watch your tongue

I know Easton very well, as it was in the catchment area for my secondary school (Whitefield Fishponds Comprehensive, catchment included Fishponds, Eastville, St. Pauls etc…). I go back about twice a year to the area and it’s seen better days.