AA Tripadvisor - York

Where to stay what to go see?

Will be heading up Weds and stopping overnight en route to picking up doggo.

Yorkshire museum is surprisingly good, chocolate museum is calorific.

1 Like

Railway museum is very good. BYO anorak and thermos of soup for added spotter ‘kudos’.

4 Likes

we will be there on Thursday for a few days.

Railway Museum

York Brewery

Open Top bus tour covers alot of ground if the weather is good

Chocolate Museum is fun.

Of course York Minster if that is your thing.

Walk the walls, if its dry

We stay at the Grand which is walking distance from the station, and nicely located for the brewery. I think there is a reasonable Hampton by Hilton near by.

Near the Grand is Micklegate, with a load of nice pubs, our favourite is http://www.markettowntaverns.co.uk/pub-and-bar-finder/yorkshire/brigantes/ which has a great range of beer and nice food

here is a thread I started in 2017

1 Like

I have been informed by Hel that York Minster is top of the list.

1 Like

Stayed here on our last visit…

2 Likes

I think we might have eaten there - good food from memory

1 Like

As above: Railway museum if that’s yer thing, Minster’s a must, everything else in York is IMHO best enjoyed by wandering

Not sure if it’s feasible with 2 days notice, but a private walking tour by someone with their head screwed on would be pefect for York: there are so many levels of history in the town with so many stories to be told, that a guide is a decent option (and I don’t think the Yorshire Museum does a very good job at paiting that complex picture … though it’s some time since I’ve been there TBF)

Cliffords Tower / castle Muserum are a bit bobbins, frankly. best left for (and avoided because of) the school-trip young-uns.

1 Like

yes i have a picture here of york minister , its well worth a visit .

It has been redone in the last few years, it was certainly interesting when we went there last May.

Ah, well: then that’s different

Minster was rammed when we last went with longish queues. If you are planning the minster, get your tickets online before you go.

1 Like

I recall having a great time in York carrying a copy of this.

It took you all across the city back & forth through hidden & unnoticed alleyways & you did find quiet & pretty courtyards & squares that were seemingly missed by the tourists.

Possibly here too, an area that re-invented itself.

http://www.bishyroad.net/

1 Like