All-in-one hifi box?

Friend of ours is looking for a one (or at most two) box hifi system - ideally amplifier + CD + phono-stage + DAC; she’s just impulse-bought an AudioTechnica AT-LP120X (could have been worse…), and will need speakers for which I’ll try to convince her to get smaller floorstanders. Budget’s probably gonna be £250-500.

Any thoughts what to go after? Anyone got something they want to move-on?

I use similar to one of these,sadly no phono stage with it

1 Like

Yep, a could do a lot worse than a Denon DM## with an external phonostage. Nice and simple to use, a classic. When I was in the Hifi shop, it was the DM37 from memory at that time, and we sold 10+ a day, by far the most popular product.
My mum has a DM40 with some old KEF Coda 9s and its great.

2 Likes

I agree with stu and hoops. Denon plus phono stage then get some speakers.

1 Like

Cheers chaps, I’ve owned a DM-30 and it was a great little bit of kit, so makes sense.

And maybe these,though always worth looking at local gumtree,fb marketplace

1 Like

Other alternative: Teac 500?

1 Like

Doesn’t the AudioTechnica AT-LP120X have one built in?

5 Likes

Good point,pretty sure it does

1 Like

Trying to persuade Aud to buy that dirt-cheap pair of Triangle Antal’s in Spalding! :joy:

1 Like

Little bit pricier but worth an offer.

4 Likes

This is 3 very small boxes :rofl:

Do these tossers think everybody is a moron? Why pretend that you don’t know you are selling something that doesn’t work? Jeez. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

SIGH!

So, she failed to actually read what I had written, and impulse-bought the TT thinking that was it: the whole entire hifi system… Very small budget blown.

So she’s cancelled the order…

Think the old man’s getting slippers for xmas now… :joy:

2 Likes

:man_facepalming:

Just tell her to buy a 2nd hand Muso

1 Like

A JBL Xtreme 2 and stream from her phone - jobs a good 'un.

4 Likes

They have one of those ghastly Bose boxes up on a shelf in the kitchen, and it appears that won’t be changing, other than, perhaps, for a newer one that works properly…

Sigh…!

1 Like

That thing is a monster - if I had to sell all my hi-fi I could live with mine and an ipad.

2 Likes

If it’s one of those “wave” thingies, I thought about getting one for the bedroom about 10 years ago

until I heard one :grimacing:

The Muso ain’t a hifi but it sure as hell makes the Bose shite sound like a wasp farting in a biscuit tin.

3 Likes

You gents are wholly right, sadly it’s not me that needs convincing, rather, it’s someone whose idea of ‘listening’ is speaking more loudly over you if you say something…

(i.e. most people…)