All your science in here

So many screenshot opportunities from that live feed!

2 Likes

I wonder where it is w.r.t the ISS or if the ISS will make an appearance in the background.

Nope, paint is your friend. Sacrificial anodes tend to be used to protect painted steel in seawater where it is in the vicinity of other unpainted metals, such as alloyed bronzes. The working theory being that if the paint on the steel is damaged a very local and powerful corrosion cell is formed, if there is a sacrificial anode nearby, then the now exposed steel is protected from corrosion.

1 Like

Elon Musk, pfffft. Flat Earth steam powered rockets are the way to go (not).

Touch of hyperbole, no doubt, but an interesting material for speaker manufacture perhaps…

2 Likes

The much-announced death of Moore’s Law? Probably not, but tech companies sure are early to the table with their public-funding begging bowls… Worth it for the stock-photo use alone!

My PhD thesis whilst being concerned with multi-core processor design, did have some outputs (papers) that discussed this in terms of computing power, and extracting parellism from software.

This isn’t the first time this has been pronounced. Somewhere I have some papers that showed certain fabs were manipulating the underlying premise of the law, to demonstrate that it was still relevant.

1 Like

Heads-on-poles :ok_hand:

1 Like

Stronzetto and his followers

I was thinking prototypic political protest - I like these long-dead mesoliths :ok_hand:

Just came across this which is interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olbers'_paradox

Cosmology makes my brain itch, albeit in a good way :+1:

Results of three years data on observing the Milky Way in radio wavelength.

A Japanese telescope has produced our most detailed radio wave image yet of the Milky Way galaxy.

“Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.”

4 Likes

Fair, digital watches are pretty cool.

This is cool

2 Likes

Did anyone see the live un-docking video of the Soyuz module from the ISS last night? Pretty cool.

1 Like

Schumann is the answer

4 Likes

The latest ‘Fusion just around the corner’ article.

The cynic in me says that it is less of a scientific prediction and more of a request for more research funding.

1 Like