Another LCR phono (aka BTJ-9000S)

Cheapest way to get Tants (build ballache notwithstanding) are the Vishay SMD ones - think they go up to 2W. Digikey listed a fair few values last time I looked.

1 Like

Ooh, linky?

Not bloody surprised.

Through gritted teeth I fitted Charcrofts into my Croft phono as the load resistors for my Super Gold. They are bloody good.

Yeah. They’re very good. The silver tants are very nice, but not close enough tolerance for EQ. Hence the 0.1% TX2575 in custom values.

They’re matched to the actual cap values. It’s a real ball ache, but necessary to get an accurate response. Reminds me, I have to regap the chokes to get the values spot on.

Not a clue what that means

Surely they are inductors, chokes are for the peasants.

1 Like

They have an air gap. You can tweak the inductance by adjusting the gap. It’s a bit laborious as it basically goes: dismantle, change spacer, reassemble, measure… Find it’s not right, then start again. You’re talking tenths of a milli-Henry.

1 Like

Lol

Needs a power switch.

2a8f8aafdfe2a9fee72b35c310195df1--young-frankenstein-light-fittings

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, just been given these beasts!

1 Like

How quaint. :slight_smile:

I have a customer that used to build nuclear power stations, I’ll see what he has rattling about his garage. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does any of it glow?

They seem to have revised their datasheets since I last looked, but I’m fairly sure all of the TNxx chips are TaN (clue’s in the name…) and Vishay’s materials people were helpful last time I asked.

Check sizes, some are the size of a full-stop iirc!

Cheers matey, might get some to try, though SMD is such a ball ache!

1 Like

zackly, worth getting some boards made if you have some good circuits that are suitable - not all PCBs are bad - short paths are good too…

1 Like

Can this three tier banquet of beautiful bonkers come to Lopwell?

You’ll have to ask James!

Do you think we’ll get it down the lane?

10 Likes

Could we get it up the river?

3 Likes

Certainly more practical if the tides are right.