Any old Pics - replicating google images, one post at a time (Part 1)

That is an amazing photograph.

1 Like

Found by a member on another forum…

I went to an estate sale in 2017 where there were a few thousand records. A couple hours into the sale I was done with the records, so I checked out the rest of the house. The guy had a lot of Western style art, furniture, cowboy boots, etc. I found a stack of 10 black-and-white photos, 11x14, all with Library of Congress ink stamps on back and with the photographers and titles handwritten in pencil. I recognized the photos well enough to know that $5 a pop was a steal. I was surprised they had sat there unsold, but maybe people thought they were something sold to tourists at the LOC gift ship? I did a little more research when I got home and found out that the LOC owns the negatives to the Farm Security Administration photos of the 1930s to 1940s and to this day, anyone can contact them and order prints. These days those are digital prints, but up until about 10 years ago, it would be a real darkroom print from the original negative, and the ones printed roughly 1970s and earlier are considered the best quality and are the most desirable. Further research pegged these ones at 1960s-1970s and 8x10 prints are most common, so this larger size is much better.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Gorbals pub, Glasgow 1968 - photograph by Jurgen Schadeberg

5 Likes

Chitlin’ circuit

9 Likes

15 Likes

Eeek

11 Likes

Jesus, I don’t think they got that one back!

Look at the tyre coming off the rim…:scream:

1 Like

I see nothing changes.

Also, look at the state of the passengers leathers compared to the driver. It’s indicative of the amount of work he’s been putting in.

The term “passenger” with regard to racing sidecars is very much a misnomer. Without denigrating the skill levels of the drivers, the passenger has far more influence on the performance of a sidecar outfit than the driver, assuming equal skill levels.

1 Like

Hoover dam construction

12 Likes

On set with the Texas chainsaw massacre 74

6 Likes

Lopwell last year?

8 Likes

Long Term Parking, 1982 by Armand Pierre Fernandez.

8 Likes

Pretty close. This lot are better looking though :smile:

1 Like

Is Pete building another SUT?

1 Like

The Palestinian photo is incredible…

1 Like

I see Jim’s in the sweet spot :grinning:

2 Likes

Who the hell were roogalator?

2 Likes
1 Like