Any old Pics - replicating google images, one post at a time (Part 1)

x6 parts of the stax show are here:

Full LP

5 Likes

5 Likes

German forging press 1928

9 Likes

Looks like something @coco might build if you asked for an iPod…:grin::grin:

11 Likes

Proper engineering!

5 Likes

Paratroopers over Moscow 1940s

2 Likes

There’s every reason you ever need right there in that photo to buy German.

Serge & Jane,1971

6 Likes

This is an absolutely remarkable piece of work - similar in effect to They Shall Never Grow Old

Her website is tremendous

4 Likes

WWII London in colour.

8 Likes

Somehow the b & w pics have more atmosphere.

2 Likes

There is something compelling about ww2 in colour though.

4 Likes

Yes in many ways. Colour somehow modernizes though. When you consider the above wasn’t so long ago, somehow the colour pics afford a different kind of impact to B&W.

I prefer black and white photographs in general but the colour and digitally restored ones definitely adds a different slant to them.

As I used to do some desk-top publishing I’m fascinated by the process Marina Amaral uses to restore and colourise her work.

I don’t dislike the colour ones, just a preference for b & w.

I got the complete works of Laurel & Hardy on DVD some years ago. Many had been, very cleverly, turned into colour versions. I couldn’t get away with them, much preferring the originals. Fortunately both versions were on the DVD’s.

4 Likes

Don’t let Ted Turner deface my movie with his crayons

• Orson Welles weeks before his death commenting on a planned colorization of Citizen Kane.
3 Likes

I’m not surprised. Some of the early Technicolor movies were truly awful. The Caine Mutiny was a case in point. Great film, shocking colours.

1 Like

Black and white typically gives a timeless sense to a photo which I generally prefer too.

The Amaral colorised Auschwitz registration photos though are shocking because they look so contemporaneous, like they were taken a few minutes ago…almost unbearable to look at.

Most colorisation is for me a little artificial and seems a little gimmicky. The Amaral Photoshop processing is however very subtle and appears realistic, very clever and compelling. Thanks Allan.

6 Likes

Word of the day :+1:

4 Likes

The important thing for me is the painstaking research she does to ensure the work she undertakes is as accurate as possible. I will leave the Auschwitz photos for another time too harrowing.

I’ve bought the book Ben so look forward to reading it.