Any old Pics - replicating google images, one post at a time (Part 1)

Edinburgh 1942 - BIll Brandt

9 Likes

1981, Studio 54

10 Likes

4 Likes

Bran (Dracula) Castle 1929.

10 Likes

I did that a few years back, in my then Saab 9-3, very heavily-laden. I was somewhat the worse for wear, after a couple of weeks of festivals in Eastern Europe. It was totally mental. I had vertigo the whole way up, never made it past second gear. At one point I pulled off into one of the stops on the corners, got out of the car, and my legs were shaking. Then when I got to the top, finally, it felt like Nepal. Worth it, just about, but next time Iā€™d do it on a bike. Hard to believe people take coaches up and down it!

1 Like

I can wholeheartedly relate to your experience. There a couple of mountain roads near me with a single hairpin each and I feel uneasy going round them, what a series of Alpine switchbacks must be like I can only imagine. I was heading to that pass but only got as far as Interlaken.

1 Like

It just goes on and on and onā€¦ and at each hairpin, you canā€™t really see if anythingā€™s coming, so you donā€™t know if youā€™re suddenly going to have to deal with a bus, or whatever. And itā€™s so steep, so you constantly have this sense of being about to tumble off into the depths. When I planned it as my route home, I had this romantic vision of me sort of pootling up this lovely mountain road at a leisurely pace, gasping at all the beautiful scenery. When it came to it, it was a couple of hours of totally shitting myself and swearing, why the fuck did I put myself in this situation?!

1 Like

Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t make it now!

1 Like

Soft cock :grin:

1 Like

The trick is using first gear and the handbrake*.

*NB, I was in a rental :smirk:

1 Like

Ha yeah, that was pretty much it, but fuck it got tedious by the time I reached the top.

In retrospect, and considering there were another two passes of similar magnitude, before I got past the main bulk of the mountains and into manageable Switzerland, that was probably the beginning of the end for that Saabā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve just finished watching Free Solo - I canā€™t think of anything to say that can do it justice.

1 Like

The grooms waiting outside the church at a 1910 mass wedding in Breton.

1 Like

I only glance at this thread from time to time and donā€™t really take much notice but saw Free Solo come up. Iā€™ve just googled it and discovered itā€™s not another Star Wars spin-off.
I am most disappoint :frowning_face:

Itā€™s nothing to do with The Man From U.N.C.L.E. either.

VB

2 Likes

You should watch it anyway.

I watched the trailer for that yesterday. Iā€™m still recovering from the shock to my system.

Keith Moon outside Parkhead;

2 Likes

Scarier than any horror film Iā€™ve ever seen - Iā€™m getting sweaty palms just thinking about it again :grimacing:

My home town (Alcester, Warks.) 1901

5 Likes