Any old Pics - replicating google images, one post at a time (Part 1)

Inventive

Cool soup

I saw her bout 15 years ago walking round ladbroke grove, scagged out of her head, looking rough,an MWS lucky escape me thinks…

Ugh, she is ten a penny common filth. I can see why you liked her :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Indeed she was the embodiment of ‘Sharon’ A perfect target for the rising yet ever failing sap of MWS Jr.

1 Like

Just think how many hard-to-shift itches and rashes you dodged…

1 Like

My mate used to go out with her when they were just becoming well known, not bad for a 5’8" Scottish nutter.

1 Like

London bridge being dismantled in the late 60s

And in it’s new home in Arizona

The 1831 London Bridge was designed by John Rennie, who won the privilege in a design competition, after the previous stone bridge – which was by then over 600 years old – was deemed too narrow and decrepit.
Rennie’s bridge was built 100ft west of the original stone bridge, which remained in use until the new construction was opened. It was then demolished.
The new bridge was 928 feet (283 m) long and 49 feet (15 m) wide, constructed from granite from Hay Tor on Dartmoor. Its official opening, on August 1, 1831, was attended by King William IV and Queen Adelaide.
Luckin’s suggestion to sell the bridge was initially considered foolish – and five weeks before the closing date set for a sale, March 28, 1968, no offers had been received. Luckin then went to New York, where he pitched the bridge as an integral piece of London’s history.
The bridge’s individual blocks were numbered (below) before being taken apart, transferred to Merrivale Quarry where they were trimmed to size, sent by sea to the Port of Houston, Texas, and then by rail to Lake Havasu.

The rebuilt bridge, constructed on dry land, is not completely original; the granite transported from London is used to clad a purpose-built concrete structure.
Once the rebuilt bridge was completed in 1971, the Bridgewater Channel Canal was dredged underneath it and flooded, creating an island out of a small peninsula. It now spans from the Thompson Bay part of Lake Havasu to the remainder of the city to the north.
Contrary to popular belief, McCulloch did not mistakenly think he was buying Tower Bridge. He had publicity pictures taken of himself on London Bridge after the sale, before it was deconstructed, so was clearly aware which bridge he had purchased.

4 Likes

Interesting that it all came down to Merrivale before shipping. As I recall, there are supposed to still be some blocks there. I think they had to replace a few.

Yes,must of been some operation to keep moving it about.

7 Likes

Oops ! Missed Heathrow by a smidge.

First Ryanair flight. At least it’s the right country…

2 Likes

“Hey kids ! Which way to Northolt ?”

Crowds of people outside Oxford Circus underground station on the corner of Oxford Street and Argyll Street, London.
Not much has changed.

Customers using the new telephones in the ticket hall at Oxford Circus underground station, London, which has been rebuilt in preparation for the new Victoria Line, which will pass through the station.

An access tunnel under Oxford Circus used to extract clay from excavations during the construction of the Victoria Line on the London Underground system.
And how it looks now…

10 Likes

An underground tube train on an overground route to Golders Green, pulled by a traction engine, prior to being put into service.

4 Likes

Fleet st 1929

1 Like

Big Ben spring clean 1920.

3 Likes

Even his shoes are shiny, you just can’t get the staff nowadays. difficult to tell properly, but is that a cigarette in his mouth?

Wot, no scaffolding?!