Any old Pics - replicating google images, one post at a time (Part 1)

Surely you mean Karnak Temple, no ?

No, Luxor temple has beautiful examples of the Roman period in Egyptian history along with some Ptolemic artwork. These are in enclosed spaces and are presently being worked on by Egyptologists as a restoration project.
Karnak is almost entirely dedicated to the Pharonic periods of Sety 1 and hugely populated with hieroglyphs, statues and tales of bravery of Ramases 11 with some references to Hatshepsut ( I think Thutmoses is also represented by a chapel ). I haven’t seen any Greco-Roman artwork at Karnak during my visits and no obvious reference can be found at Karnak to this period, although I’m sure they would have been visited and altered by the Greeks and Romans at some point.
They are both magical places to visit and quite literally have the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end.
As I said, I’m getting itchy feet to return, wonderful places, leave me in awe following each visit,

Newport 1986

1 Like

It’s got worse since then.

1 Like

Stayed there about 10 years ago for the night,didn’t look a great place.

Fixt

I was impressed that they’d managed to steal Middlesbrough’s transporter bridge without anyone noticing.

That cable really ties the room together.

VB

7 Likes

A couple of years ago a friend and I cycled back home to Bristol from Cardiff, and included a crossing on this bridge in our route. Definitely worth a go!

http://www.newport.gov.uk/heritage/Transporter-Bridge/Visit.aspx

My wife loves Egyptology and has visited Egypt a few times but I haven’t been. Since it’s her 50th next year we decided over the weekend that we’ll do a Nile cruise for her birthday and visit all the sites en-route. :+1:

3 Likes

We went to Egypt on our honeymoon in the 80’s. Given when they were built, I think the great pyramid is still the most impressive man-made object I’ve ever seen. Best of luck with the gippy tummy (if your wife’s been before she’ll probably be up to speed with avoiding/dealing with this). If you can stretch the trip to visit Abu Simbel as well then I’d say that was worth it. It’s a long way south of the Aswan Dam so the cruise boats can’t get there, but it can be done from Aswan by plane or (more adventurously, at least 30+ years ago) by road (taxi in our case !).

VB

1 Like

We’ll look into it in more detail over the coming months - we’ll Anne will as she’s been nagging me to go for years :grinning:

She visited Abu Simbel and over the river to Nubia by plane the last time she went and managed to get herself asked for money at gunpoint by a local policeman after he offered to show her around some of the off-limit places.

Great photos tho’ :joy:

She’s visited a lot of the middle-east on her own when she was younger and got herself into some mental situations. Much more fearless than me when it comes to travel.

Stronzetto is available for hire. Not so much a body guard, rather effective repellent though

2 Likes

Might be an idea :grin:

I love Egypt especially the temples around Luxor. Alexandria is worth a visit as well. I’ve been about 8 times for work and pleasure. Personally I was totally underwhelmed by the pyramids, and would give Cairo a miss if I was going back.

East London 60s and 70s

3 Likes

The Cosy Cafe. Lol.

Cosier than the place next door.

1 Like

… which is being disassembled by a guy, probably with a club hammer and bolster, doing the brick equivalent of sawing through the branch you’re sitting on.

VB

2 Likes