Armchair politics

Oh, that’s good…very good. :slight_smile:

1 Like
2 Likes

Needs to be posted every now and again

3 Likes

Stop it with the shitty puns you pricks.

1 Like

errr, except none of them were puns :roll_eyes:

They were, in fact, and about as funny as dogshit. It’s really fucking tiresome.

1 Like

7 Likes

So he isn’t now going to step down, force a by election & stand as an independent.

Imagine my surprise.

(There are principles & then there is £78K pa + expenses)

5 Likes

Frank Field has embraced the new political era … tweet first, think later.

1 Like

Must be still thinking then…

1 Like

tenor

tumblr_o50h1o7UYq1rn7bzro1_400

13 Likes

That should be in the “I want” thread

12 Likes

My view on immigration is that it’s generally a good thing - communities are made richer by having more variety, and the migrants are usually young and willing to work hard.

But it’s immigration that will break society. The numbers of potential migrants is so great, it cannot ever be possible to allow unlimited migration. Fundamentally it’s obvious - if you live in a poor country, it makes rational sense to migrate to a richer one, where opportunities are much better. The number of people in these poor countries is much greater than those in rich countries.

So Europe will fall apart because many countries cannot police their borders, and allowing free movement once people are in hugely incentivises illegal immigration. At the very least there will be a lurch to the right, borders will be made less porous, identity cards will be required, outsiders will be unwelcome.

What is the solution? I know that my preferred solution, which is to improve the third world through massive investment (essentially dealing with the immigrant supply, I guess), is naive in this world of austerity - we can’t afford to invest in much of the UK.

I can’t really get away from the conclusion that our comfortable western life is much of the problem. Wealth is not distributed in any way equally, and there is no way of achieving a steady transition to anything like an equal distribution. The question then becomes one of how violent and chaotic the redistribution process will be.

Interesting times.

3 Likes

The sad irony is that, as a result of the falling birth rate in the West, we need immigration to pay for the pensions and medical costs of an ageing population.

the irony of it is that there isn’t a mass immigration issue into the EU anymore. Following on from the million plus who swept across Europe following the Syrian war, the EU has spent a not inconsiderable sum to stem that flow. This year the figure has been a few tens of thousands.

The right wing racists have merely taken advantage of the situation from 2 years ago to stir up hatred and gain power.

1 Like