Artist search - 80s act

I played this a couple of times the other day obvs. Now both of my kids have it on their tidal play lists. :grin:

8 Likes

I listened to it last night.
It invoked memories of one of my school teachers. He was a 20 something gay male who worked in a middle class secondary school in the Adelaide suburbs. Adelaide had a burgeoning gay scene which protected their own. He had a good life.
That was a world away from his origins. He grew up in the cultural, rural wasteland that was 1970s Mount Gambier.
During the 80s we became good friends and often referred to how “safe” he felt. He grew up expecting abuse and violence. Not just when he went out, but from his own father and uncle.
Late at night, after a few too many sherbets, he would discuss the beatings at length. It was a release.

This was HIS song.

*Ultimately, his fantastic artwork was his ticket home. He returned to a different attitude and culture. His father had died and his uncle had been ostracized by the family. He opened an art gallery and lived there with his partner until his untimely death to prostate cancer in the early 2000s.

9 Likes

Not my first hand recollection of it but my Dad thought it was a great song and so bought The Age of Consent on the day of release; 15th October 1984. He’d been sent back to the UK briefly to the staff college at Camberley and picked it up at a record shop after work. He was confused why wandering in in uniform to buy an album with a big pink triangle on the front of it was something that generated a mild look of surprise on the part of the staff but he’s never been terribly good at subtext.

5 Likes

:grin:

It’s one of the best decades for music, hated by those who didn’t have it as the backdrop to their youth. Thank fuck I didn’t have the fucking sixties or noughties, rancid stuff.

irony noted

I have lovely memories of being an ‘amorous’ teen in the 80s dancing with girls at youth clubs and then later on at gigs and clubs, so I might have a rather rose tinted warm view about 80s and the music…

Born in 1960, I was a throbbing mass of monetised testosterone in the 80s :+1:t2:

Not far behind you there. I ended the 80s in Oz. For all it’s faults I had a fantastic time, ended up managing the busiest bar / Hotel in Perth and then had ‘overstayed welcome’ stamped in my passport when I left.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Was to young to remember the 80s hence the backtracking now

My main musical interest through most of the 80s was the brass band I played in… I may never recover

I do still like David of the White Rock played by a brass band though :disappointed:

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

1 Like

I do like some 80s stuff but born in 78 so 90s was my time really.

Your ageist post has triggered my sciatica.

:angry:

2 Likes

It could be worse. I was born in '85…

1 Like

That is just lovely, now I have developed spontaneous angina…

:rage:

Cheer up.

I looked at a calendar this morning and realised that I’d missed my Dad’s birthday a couple of days ago.

Then I realised that he would have been 99 :grimacing:

1 Like

hair turned grey?

Decades ago…

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

@stu was a child of the 90’s. Music Hall & all that.

5 Likes

It’s a shame he missed that scene, he was getting on a bit then and besides he was doing a six stretch in the Nebraska State Pen.

2 Likes