BBQing Diary

Yeah, but you can leave it to sort it’s own shit out. There’s no hovering over it and checking every hour. Just - passive/active temperature control, filtered air supply and humidity control. Stick meat in, leave alone for a few weeks.

I’ll have to get a fridge with a glass door so I can watch it decompose. :+1:

2 Likes

This is a proper aging room:

4 Likes

:heart_eyes:

There’s few of those in Las Vegas.

Our butcher has a much smaller one :smirk:

http://www.calnanbrothers.co.uk/watlington/about/dry-aged-beef

5 Likes

We have some friends coming for lunch tomorrow, I shall be smoking this bad boy. Can’t wait!

10 Likes

'kin ell…is that from your local friendly butcher? :smiley:

For lunch? What time are you starting?

Starting the smoking?

The whole process

Yes, from him. I just got a lecture on internal temperature, he says all beef should be cooked to 73°c. :roll_eyes: I told him I would cook it to medium which will be low 60’s. This set him off- with a shop full- on a tirade about food poisoning and how all these “fancy chefs up London” get in a lot of trouble “coz they poison their customers.”

3 Likes

I think it will take maybe 5 hrs at 80°, we will eat at 2:30-ish. I’ll start it at seven, which will give me enough time to cook it some more if necessary and rest it whilst I make gravy with smokey drippings. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

What a nobber.

1 Like

Loads of folk have stupid prejudices about the way meat is cooked…the wife of an old friend of mine, when she sees pink meat says “some bloke in Japan got a worm in his brain from eating undercooked meat like that”

2 Likes

I wonder what they’d make of restaurants serving pork tartare. And yes, they do exist!

1 Like

Mettbrotchen in Bavaria is a raw pork pate spread on dark rye bread, it’s knockout.

I’ve heard of that, I seem to recall Helmut Kohl was a big fan

Lamb leg in 50 mins ago at 190, dropping to 160 after 15 minutes. Beech chips just went in.

1 Like

Nice but a bit hard on your teeth I find

2 Likes

I did another lamb leg last weekend, it was ace!

1 Like