BBQing Diary

17 Likes

I’m better at stuff that needs a heavy handed approach. :grinning:

2 Likes

That beef looks perfect Ritch :heart_eyes:

Jan is well impressed - she asked about the Yorkshire’s?

Didn’t do any today, didn’t think ! Will give you a couple of book recommendations in a bit. :+1:

1 Like

3 Likes

Well caught, I’ll tell her!

1 Like

I did Yorkshires today for about the third time in my life, they were pretty good. Claire has never been any good at them. Turns out that actually measuring the oil you put in, and following a decent recipe including actually weighing stuff, makes a difference. Who knew?

2 Likes

Bought an Uuni pizza oven, rather pleased with it.

Just need a new smoker now. :grin:

1 Like

Excellent book, there is a BBQ chapter but the whole thing is worth a read. His basic premise is that all meat should be cooked as slowly as possible. He really understands exactly how any cut should be cooked re temperature and time. I’ve noted that anytime I have not quite followed what he has written it has been less than satisfactory.

This is more specifically about BBQ/smoking, has excellent advice on the mechanics of bbq/rubs etc, some great recipes too.

There is also a wealth of info on the internet. You can smoke meat in a standard Weber kettle bbq, although, it is a little easier with the Smokey Mountain. The biggest kettle they do, a digital thermometer that you can leave in the meat while it cooks, some charcoal/briquettes and some wood for smoke and you are away.

The beef today was just standard, I set the thing for about 80° (it crept up a little but I trimmed it with the vents) and a couple of hours later it had reached 60° internal, I took it off, rested it while I made gravy out of the drippings and then browned it off over the hot coals having removed the middle cylinder and lid. It is easy, and pretty much foolproof once you get the hang of it. Give it a go!

1 Like

Jan is a Geordie so makes the best Yorkshires you could yearn for - but in an oven. The method is simple.

First is the equipment. Tins must be at least 100 years old (her grandmas) and are NEVER washed.

Next a mix of the stuff. Plain flower (about 4 heaped tablespoons ish, salt and pepper, 3 eggs, about 1/2 pint mix equal milk and water. This will make about 8 yorkies in an average 100 year old tin.Leave for 30 minutes to whatever time you get back from the pub.

Heat the oven to the highest temperature outside hell. Now put a dollup of of lard, beef dripping, goose fat or anything but oil in each tin and stick it in the oven. When it’s smoking add some of the mix into each tin and put it back in the oven very quickly before it cools.

Drink.

Never open the door until it is ready, but sometimes turn the oven down for reasons.

Only witches and wives knows when this is required as the oven light is not working.

Somehow it is perfect every time.

Doing them in a barbie is a special skill.

6 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

pic of the pizza oven pls

Stock photo due to lazy.

1 Like

Fuel? Gas or chips?

It’s a given, no argument.

1 Like

Is it like a rocket stove?
Burner at the back?

Pellets, but you can buy a gas burner for it.

Stick with wood I hear