BBQing Diary

That’s the panties part

2 Likes

Excellent book BUT … be careful with their dosings of salt: they’re fucking insnane

The dressings and sauces are very reliant upon some bases (mother sauce IIRC) , which you’re best of knocking out one weekend and freezing in portions, otherwise you’ll have all kinds of faff the day you’re grilling

1 Like

He,he, I was wondering how to manage the mother sauce angle, thanks for the tip! Have you tried much from the book?

Honestly, this is a great book to add to the collection

1 Like

5 Likes

Rub was:
1 head garlic roasted and pulped
Cumin seeds
Coriander seeds
Fennel seeds
Sweet smoked paprika
Brown sugar
Lemon zest
Lemon juice
Chipotle powder

5 Likes

Ok, so I cooked it for an hour and felt it could have had maybe 10 mins more or so. Next time I shall put a bit more sugar in the rub too. Apart from that it was good, really pleased. I got a proper smokey flavour to it with the ingredients and a chunk of mesquite on top of the coals. It was really succulent. Good quality bird though, courtesy of the butchers over the road. Ribs tomorrow!

1 Like

Gas mk6? :thinking:

1 Like

The chicken looks great, Wayward. Spatchcock chicken is one of my favourite things to cook on the Weber Kettle - it’s so easy and delicious.

Good luck with the ribs tomorrow. Are you going with the snake method?

I’m going to try the snake, yes. I should really have the ribs marinating now but I’m too lazy to sort it tonight! I am starting to get a bit of a feel for cooking with indirect heat but loads to learn yet. The chicken tonight really did taste like proper bbq though, which is encouraging.

Must admit I never really got the hang of the snake method as I found it hard to control the rising temps. I used the two charcoal baskets method more although that does need a bit more monitoring and forward planning when adding new coals.

I do ribs and pulled pork on a Weber Smokey Mountain now and it’s much easier. I only use it once every couple of months though so I’m not sure it’s been a good purchase; unlike the Webble Kettle which I use at least 1-2 times a week. I’ve had my Kettle for around 15 years now and I can honestly say it’s one of the best things I’ve ever bought.

Having said that, I’m waiting for Catcando’s report on his Kamado Joe. :thinking:

3 Likes

Someone who knows a bit about low and slow cooking has recommended Australian heat beads rather than my usual Big K restaurant grade lump wood charcoal.

they sound like a sex toy

1 Like

Everything in Straya is a sex toy if you’re depraved/dumb enough.

:spider:

Snap.

1 Like

They are great for low and slow but not so good for general grilling because they take ages to light and get up to temp.

I prefer Weber briquettes as they are a good all rounder. Definitely not as good as AHB for low and slow but it’s a bit of a faff having different types of charcoal for cooking.

Thanks. My biggest gripe with the Big K is that you seem to be getting less and less of the larger pieces.

My ribs ended up too dry. I’m going to try Chris’s 2+2+2 method next, which us probably what I should have done in the first place. Basically, the second two hours coincided with the Football on Sunday, so I chose to use another method without the foil wrapping bit. It didn’t work. They tasted good though! I did manage to stabilise the temp at 112°c for most of the cook but wonder if I should have got it stable before putting the meat in. Obviously, opening it looses all the heat, so not sure what to do here. Any thoughts?

Don’t worry about heat loss, I leave the lid open whilst removing the ribs and wrapping them in foil etc. It will get back up to heat within a few minutes.

Getting a stable 112c for a first attempt is frankly fucking brilliant, I’m happy if it swings anywhere between 110c and 130c throughout a 6 hour cook.

How?