BBQing Diary

:angry:

sweet potatoes wrapped in foil and put in the coals are delicious

Ah, I see. Cobb not cob. :grin:

1 Like

40 day dry aged rib. Kept simple with a rub of mustard powder, garlic salt, sea salt and white pepper. It’s actually 2” thick though you can’t see it.

Temp 190 initially, will bring down after 30 min to 160ish for an hour.

Catering lumpwood with oak chips.

2 Likes

I see you have a grill with a hatch… I have been looking for one with an off-set hatch so I can top up the fuel easily. I can’t seem to find one, only with the central hatch as yours. Is it easy to top up the fuel with the hatch in the middle?

Here https://www.riversidegardencentre.co.uk/weber-57cm-hinged-cooking-grate.html
Fixed

Link doesn’t seem to be working Greg

Ha! I tried the same word search and now loads are coming up. Thanks!

edit

Mine has the removable centre plus the flip sides. It’s a doddle to top up the coals.
Just be a bit careful is pouring in as they could deposit dust over the food.

I flip the side bits up and use them to rest the kebab sticks on, stops them from sticking to the grate then. I use the bamboo ones which have a flat end which also makes turning them nice and easy as you can do one side at a time

3 Likes

Great shop for Weber products (the largest range in the country I believe) and only 20 minutes drive from my house. Also a great place for stocking up on charcoal, whatever the season.

So ? I had a heat issue half way through the “main” cook. I have realised that my BBQ area needs better breeze protection as the Weber is susceptible to uneven burn due to erratic airflow.

Basically, the temp dropped as the lumpwood had burned off rapidly on one side. After restoking then waiting for the heat to rise, I allowed more cooking time. This proved to be too much and the beef was overcooked.

Epic bark. Juicy meat (mostly but there were dry bits. Luckily the extra fat on a rib helped out) but not pink enough for me or Narelle.

This was a “suck it and see” for our Xmas dinner rib. I know that I need to be less conservative with cooking times. One more try when the ambient temperature drops a bit and some modifications to my BBQ hutch, but I am heartened that Xmas dinner should be the dog’s.

Excellent, I am really keen to cook a rib of beef on the Weber for Christmas too. Aiming to do a bit before then to try and perfect technique. I expect cooler air temps in winter are a factor?

I reckon so. As I said, I plan another once the outside temperature drops to understand the effect.

Sorry, didn’t read your post properly, got all excited with the idea of Christmas beef and West Ham being one up against Bournemouth :grin:

1 Like

West who ?

Quite :slightly_frowning_face:

May be worth investing in one of those thermometers we were talking about previously as you will know the temp of both the grill and the meat. I wouldn’t cook a roast on the Weber without using it now.

1 Like

I have 3 different thermometers. Inbuilt into lid. Probe with Bluetooth and stick in (mechanical) probe. All give different readings. It’s about calibration. None of them work consistently enough to trust.

1 Like