BBQing Diary

Close the vents to reduce air flow. Keep lid on.

1 Like

Webber’s are a little more lossy than the ceramic big green eggs so for slow low temp cooking you need to use what is known as the snake method - Best if you google it utube many can explain it better. It’s important that you don’t stall the BBQ by putting meat direct from the fridge on it.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll read / watch up on that and aim to give it a go next weekend.

Could really do with a better bbq

I use the weber long burn (4hrs) briquettes, if I’m doing ribs, brisket etc which needs around 4-6 hours they are good. Filling one of those weber charcoal holders/baskets gives me 150c for around 2-3 hrs, I just top it up with 2-3 briquettes every hour or so to keep it going.

The snake method is great but don’t use long burn briquettes as the temp just keeps climbing

Closing the air vent on the top should lower them temp as it reduces the airflow but I haven’t found it helps at all.

1 Like

I bought a fake Webber from B&Q a few years back only £25 came with a cover, tools vents top and bottom, a nifty thing to turn the lid into a wind shelter. Every bit as good as the Webber for a fraction of the price.

4 Likes

On the topic of cooking with fire, I treated myself to this a while ago

Brilliant for making these

Also is a great smoker, works great as a grill as well.
Ninety notes from some place called B&M bargains, and it truly is. Had my monies worth out of it already. Have since spotted them for sale in a few of the cheap shit home wares stores for similar money.

1 Like

lack of pineapple is disappointing.

2 Likes

what make is it ?

found one -£75

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Outsunny-Pizza-Oven-Outdoor-Charcoal-BBQ-Barbecue-Grill-Garden-Heater-Cooker/23020399337?iid=382458160951

That is essentially the same thing, mine looks a bit bigger. I have no idea who the maker is, I don’t remember a manufacturers name on the box and there isn’t one on the oven.

Enjoy your ban.

9 Likes

Firing up the braai I bought a couple of weeks back for the first time today-nerves…

Have just put the charcoal on so some time to go before we get started!

Have been looking up tips and reviews-impression seems to be its an adequate but flawed implementation-temp gauge useless, flue needs extending, fire tray in the smoker modding etc. but can be made into a fairly decent bbq with a little work.

1 Like

Mmmm…

Mr Naga pickle rules…

3 Likes

That stuff is mega :+1:

@browellm just lit the Weber to try the indirect method. I could only find one partition thingy, so have chucked everything on one side. Should I put the lid on now, or only when I cook?

Straight away, make sure the top and bottom vents are open.

What are you cooking?

Ok done! Just a bit of chicken and fish, also some corn and tenderstem

You can colour the chicken for 3-4 minutes on direct then move it.

1 Like

Ah, I was going to do that the other way around

The initial heat will colour things up nicely. As the temperature naturally drops the food should cook through. It worked with a spatchcocked chicken today…

I also used some Apple Wood for smoking.

6 Likes